Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#312041 - 10/07/2008 23:01 Hail !
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I came home today to find out house suffered hail damage while I was at work. The siding on the back side of the house is pretty cracked up and there looks like some damage to the shingles. Also the fascia is all dented up.

I have never had to make a homeowners insurance claim so does anyone have any advice.

I was visited already by one of those storm chaser guys. The fact that they just show up when there is a storm turns me off but a neighbor recommends them. I'm not doing anything until I talk to the insurance (allstate).

Matt

#312044 - 10/07/2008 23:28 Re: Hail ! [Re: msaeger]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

One of my friends is an insurance adjuster. Wherever there's a natural disaster or whatever, he flies there, climbs up on the roof, and deals with the claims.

Based on my understanding of hail damage, it's really easy. They measure your roof and quote you a settlement on the spot. Call your insurance. This is why you have insurance.

#312047 - 10/07/2008 23:51 Re: Hail ! [Re: DWallach]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
Call your insurance. This is why you have insurance.

Indeed. And it's why you are better off dealing with a local agent, rather than saving $25 a year and buying from some on-line service.

A friend of mine (in Alaska) had a pretty significant house fire. The fire department was still there, putting out hot spots and setting up big blowers to get rid of the smoke, and without being called or notified in any way, his insurance agent showed up, and told him, "Dave, what do we want to do first?"

My insurance agent (same one that Dave has!) knows me by sight and by name, knows what I have insured with him, and when I wrecked the ShoWagon last February frown told me "Don't worry, we'll take care of everything." That one phone call was the only thing I had to do.

Yes, I could "...save up to 15% with Geico" but the service I received (and continue to receive) is beyond price.

tanstaafl.

#312048 - 10/07/2008 23:55 Re: Hail ! [Re: tanstaafl.]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Wow.... Our dealings with insurance are vastly different. Then again, so were the circumstances. At any rate I think they're all crooks.

#312052 - 11/07/2008 03:33 Re: Hail ! [Re: lectric]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Not that it's a defense — they sold you a service and should live up to it — but you have to consider the circumstances. The damage on the Gulf Coast was so severe that reinsurance companies were having financial trouble.

#312110 - 12/07/2008 00:14 Re: Hail ! [Re: wfaulk]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I think mine will be much easier than yours was Lectric but yeah they are all crooks. They're not making money off of me I have only paid for two years of home owners insurance so far smile

What are some opinions about using one of those storm chaser type companies vs just calling they guy that will do the work. I have had five of those places come so far.

When I built the house I just found the subcontractors myself but maybe the storm chasers would have more experience dealing with the insurance companies. Contractors kind of turn me off though it just seems like an unnecessary middle man.

Matt

#312118 - 12/07/2008 13:38 Re: Hail ! [Re: wfaulk]
lectric
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Not that it's a defense — they sold you a service and should live up to it — but you have to consider the circumstances. The damage on the Gulf Coast was so severe that reinsurance companies were having financial trouble.

I was informed that State Farm had 29 Billion (with a B) in cash reserves to deal with this type of disaster. Add to that the federal help and I can't see how they were running into trouble. Now, of course, the premiums have gone up 30-80% across the board. If you weren't simply dropped.

I guess what really makes my blood boil is when they have no problems sponsoring sports events but don't want to come through when it really matters. Quit wasting my money (That I am REQUIRED to give you) on crap like that and they'd have plenty of cash to rebuild their rainy day fund.

#312127 - 12/07/2008 16:52 Re: Hail ! [Re: lectric]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
they have no problems sponsoring sports events but don't want to come through when it really matters.

Ummm... that isn't money wasted. It's called advertising, and without advertising, they have no business.

Did you buy your insurance from the Poughkeepsie General Insurance and Bagel Company? Of course not, because you'd never heard of them. If your insurance company wasn't convinced that sponsoring that sporting event was going to improve their bottom line when all was said and done, they would not have spent the money doing it.

Insurance companies make their profit by insuring enough people so that the customers who don't have claims bring in more money than other customers' claims cost them. (An oversimplification to be sure, a substantial amount of the profits also comes from investing the money that isn't paid out in claims). But, without customers there are no profits, and without advertising, there are no customers.

tanstaafl.

#312128 - 12/07/2008 17:30 Re: Hail ! [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Why do monopolies advertise? Like the local power company?

#312131 - 12/07/2008 19:49 Re: Hail ! [Re: wfaulk]
lectric
pooh-bah

Quote:
Why do monopolies advertise?

This is exactly my point. It's not like they have to convince me I need to buy insurance. I have no choice in the matter. There hasn't been one iota of change in my years of buying insurance that has been influenced by marketing. The ONLY thing that is going to make me change companies is a bad experience with one, staggering rate differences, or the biggest one, word of mouth. I see it as kindof like mortgage companies. They don't have to advertise either. When I need one, I'll find one. And it won't be the one that spends the most $$$ on advertising.

Let me ask you, would you use an attorney that advertised on TV? I know I wouldn't. How about a dentist?

Edited by lectric (12/07/2008 19:49)

#312132 - 12/07/2008 19:54 Re: Hail ! [Re: tanstaafl.]
lectric
pooh-bah

And if you ask me, they make their money by extorting use of their product and then changing the rules when the shit hits the fan. Then, if you DO make a claim, they raise your rates to cover their losses. I really do see it as the largest legal money grab in history. There is a reason that most large companies self-insure. It's faaar cheaper than paying someone else for insurance. Far smarter too, from what I've seen. At least they got back everything they put in.

#312134 - 12/07/2008 23:32 Re: Hail ! [Re: msaeger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: msaeger
They're not making money off of me I have only paid for two years of home owners insurance so far smile

Don't know how old your house is but somebody has been paying insurance on it. And you or somebody else will continue paying insurance. One way or another, they get it back. From you or collectively from every one that insures.

#312142 - 13/07/2008 16:53 Re: Hail ! [Re: gbeer]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

The house is two years old I am the only owner smile Yeah they will make it back someday but I am ahead right now smile .

Matt