Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#313263 - 28/08/2008 11:34 Re: Tomato! [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
For DD-WRT, you just want to grab the generic firmware. The model-specific versions should only be used to recover a bad flash. The most current version is v24 and I think it's awesome. The built in milkfish sip router saved me lots of work recently.

Here's a link to the micro version that should work for your router: Link

Quote:
Does anyone know of a source for pre-v5 WRT54G's? Does anyone know of a firmware like Tomato with low potential for bricking my device and won't make me tear my hair out when installing it?

I just buy the WRT54GL for people rather than find a used WRT54G. It's basically the same as the older WRT54G. Lots of memory and opensource firmware.

After flashing with DD-WRT, I like to let the router sit for about 5 minutes after it automatically reboots. Then, I hold in the reset button for at least 30 seconds and then cycle the power. This will make sure DD-WRT is booting with a totally clean config.

Let me know if I can help. I work with DD-WRT frequently.

Edited by robricc (28/08/2008 11:36)
Edit Reason: changed link to micro firmware for v5.

#313264 - 28/08/2008 11:34 Re: Tomato! [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

If you followed the WRT54Gv5 guide then it tells you to download the latest generic micro image if that link doesn't work or if there is something newer. The VXWorks Killer utility is also on that page.

It isn't simple because the older routers ran Linux. The newer cost reduced models have significantly less memory and run VXWorks instead. You need to load that VXWorks Killer utility which will actually erase VXWorks + bootloader and put on the CFE bootloader used for Linux instead.

What DD-WRT image did you flash onto your WRT54Gv5? Did you do the steps regarding setting the MAC address?

As for actually using a WRT54G, I don't any more. I've got a bunch of Cisco IOS APs and a WLC.

#313265 - 28/08/2008 11:37 Re: Tomato! [Re: robricc]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: robricc
Here's a link to the standard version that should work for your router: Link

Thats a standard firmware for an old WRT54G when Dignan has a v5 with less flash/RAM.

#313266 - 28/08/2008 11:38 Re: Tomato! [Re: tman]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I mistakenly thought he was looking for firmware for a v4. I changed the link already.

#313269 - 28/08/2008 12:36 Re: Tomato! [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Your post freaked me out a bit. smile I was reading it just like any other forum post and then suddenly see my name in it like you're writing to me personally. For a second there it was like I was reading an email.

I haven't touched SVEASOFT stuff in years. After my old WRT54G router died I replaced it with an "L" model and immediately used Tomato which I've been running since.

My knowledge of the existence of the "L" model came by necessity rather than forethought. I first bought the plain version not knowing they'd moved away from Linux. I returned it as soon as I found out I couldn't flash it with replacement firmware - at the time.

If they're still selling "L" models I'd recommend going with one of those. I've never installed DD-WRT and surfing their site on numerous occasions has never given me a desire to.

I'd eventually like to move to a faster router with wired gigabit support and 802.11n which will mean the end of using Tomato. I don't think I'm going to invest much time in checking out alternate firmware sources until I get much closer to picking up that type of product. Which will likely only follow picking up a new Mac notebook with 802.11n support.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2