I'll be in Vegas in April, but fortunately I wasn't able to be there this week. (that wasn't a typo wink )

I paid some attention via various blogs and news sites to what was being shown this year and I suppose I'm no more impressed than any other year. I don't know what the press and media at large will put most of their focus on over the next couple of weeks, but today it seems like the Palm Pre (for which there's already another thread).

For me, one highlight was the announcement of the new Vizio LCD HDTV with LED backlight at $1999. Availability in June. We'll have to see real-world tests for valuable performance news and some additional specs to find out if it will offer currently unpublished features such as 1080p/24. It's a significant milestone however in terms of price-point for an LED-backlight equipped set.

I was expecting some big news from Sharp in this area but they sorely disappointed. They had TVs with built-in BluRay and new non-LED sets with Gold and Bronze haze trim. WTF Sharp? Yawn. Sharp announced their LED Limited Edition models last year so my expectation was they'd be bringing LED to the higher end of the regular consumer line(s). Especially with all the advertising on TV these past 2 months. $12k is way too insane for their limited Edition 52" display.

I was also really impressed with new TVs announced by LG. LED-backlit and crazy thin with wireless HD from an accompanying IO box. Lower priced thicker and integrated (non wireless) models also announced. No prices for any of them yet. Expect them to be big dollars though.

Some new items from Bug Labs for those doing imbedded development work. A new keyboard among other goodies.

What I haven't read anything about yet is home (and home theater) audio at CES. Just not reading the right web sites yet.

Anyone else have any highlights to share?