Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#333963 - 11/06/2010 15:13 WTF? What kind of site asks this question?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
What on earth does the following question have to do with providing warranty support?

Quote:
With which race/ethnicity do you feel you best identify?

What the fuck? The site in question is Ridgid Power Tools.

#333969 - 11/06/2010 15:54 Re: WTF? What kind of site asks this question? [Re: hybrid8]
tman
carpal tunnel

I've seen similar questions before on warranty apps/whatever as a form of customer profiling. It should be marked as optional though.

#333972 - 11/06/2010 16:03 Re: WTF? What kind of site asks this question? [Re: hybrid8]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
What on earth does the following question have to do with providing warranty support?

Nothing to do with warranty, but a great deal to do with marketing. They are trying to find out what segment(s) of the market actually purchase their tools, and with that information will develop advertising and marketing strategies to better target those segments.

I'm probably not politically correct here, but I see this attempt to gather information as harmless. Is ethnicity some big secret that people are ashamed to reveal? Is there some way that someone might take advantage of me if I bought a Ridgid pipe wrench and it became known that I have 1/8 American Indian ancestry? Probably not. (Now that I have exposed some of my ethnicity here on the internet for everybody to know about, we'll see what happens! smile )

I wouldn't worry about it or take it personally if I were you.

tanstaafl.

#333975 - 11/06/2010 16:25 Re: WTF? What kind of site asks this question? [Re: tanstaafl.]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I don't take it personally, after all it's a generic form for everyone, however, I do find it offensive and rude in a general sense. I'm just plain European white and I certainly don't care who knows that, but some people might.

I left a comment in the notes section that if they wanted to conduct their marketing in this fashion, then I would have to take that into consideration when shopping for tools in the future, because they're showing me that they're not the kind of company I want to do business with. It's extremely weak from a marketing perspective to both need that type of information as well as ask for it in this fashion.

It strikes me as something only an American company would ask. I'm not even sure if it's legal for a company to ask that kind of question here in Canada.

#334003 - 11/06/2010 21:10 Re: WTF? What kind of site asks this question? [Re: hybrid8]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I would say the offensive part is they ask what race you feel you best identify. How about just ask your race I am white European but I feel I best identify with Eskimo ?

This just sounds like they are trying to be too politically correct.

And yeah I have seen race on warranty cards but you don't have to pick one. They ask your income too what does that have to do with warranty support.

Matt

#334004 - 11/06/2010 21:13 Re: WTF? What kind of site asks this question? [Re: msaeger]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: msaeger
I would say the offensive part is they ask what race you feel you best identify. How about just ask your race I am white European but I feel I best identify with Eskimo ?

You may not be just one ethnicity.

#334008 - 11/06/2010 21:45 Re: WTF? What kind of site asks this question? [Re: tman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tman

You may not be just one ethnicity.

Except it's not a multiple-selection question (or form). wink

#334013 - 11/06/2010 23:11 Re: WTF? What kind of site asks this question? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Which is why they ask about which one you most identify with. Which was his point.

#334027 - 12/06/2010 02:37 Re: WTF? What kind of site asks this question? [Re: wfaulk]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
My ex was chinese by genes, but born and raised in Indonesia. She knew nothing of chinese culture or language, but Indonesians hate chinese, so she felt no association with them either. She might answer Honkey, as she mostly identified with us honkeys.

Usually she would check "other" and write in "human".