Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#351272 - 03/04/2012 13:06 Does it make any sense? This is Apple
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
So I just got a call from Apple Developer Support to tell me that they'll be sending me an email.

Of course this is just the latest in the total clusterfuck of the process of registering for a Company Developer account.

#351274 - 03/04/2012 15:30 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: hybrid8]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Would you rather they'd faxed you? wink

#351275 - 03/04/2012 15:43 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: tahir]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Don't get me started on faxing... Ugh.

Knock, knock, hey Apple! 1986 called, they want their document transfer technology back.

I guess they've never heard of email and PDF before.

#351277 - 03/04/2012 17:08 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
1986 called, they want their document transfer technology back.

Oh, man you have no idea...

Recently I got my bank accounts drained because the California Franchise Tax Board mistakenly thought I owed them some back property taxes. (I didn't; my ex wife paid all the taxes on that property, but CA FTB's Demand Letters never reached either of us because of a forwarding-address clusterfuck, so CA FTB just went for the moneygrab when they didn't get a response from either of us for six months.)

In the process of straightening it all out, I went through this interesting process with the CA FTB:

- Call CA FTB.
- You can't wait on hold when you call them: They have to call you back (you punch your phone number into their automated system).
- By the way, each time I had to talk to the CA FTB dude (several times in the process outlined below), it was the same process: Call CA FTB, wait on hold, get the message that you can't wait on hold any longer, get offered the callback, punch in your phone number, wait a couple hours for the call back.)
- Finally get the call back from the Dude handling my case. First thing I ask is if Dude has a direct voice phone number reachable from the outside. He does not. Sigh. So I explain:
- Dude, I didn't live in CA for all those years, and that's my ex-wife's property which just happened to still have both our names on it. She paid the taxes. Gimme all my money back.
- Guy says, "Great, this should be an easy slam-dunk fix, then. I just need the tax returns: your federal tax returns proving that you didn't live in the state of CA, and your ex-wife's state and federal tax returns proving that these taxes have already been paid by her."
- Dude, they're my ex-wife's *California* taxes. You *have* them in *your* system. Here is her name, address, social security number, blood type, and favorite color. Look them up.
- Guys says "I can't look up someone else's taxes, I can only look up yours."
- *sputter*
- Okay dude, I guess I can get all the PDFs of all of my taxes and her taxes from those years. What's your email address so I can send you the PDFs?
- Dude says "I can't receive emails from outside. You have to fax them to me. Here is my fax number. This fax number goes directly to me."
- Dude, hang on. Okay, so I can't email them to you... I almost sorta maybe understand that. How about I just put the PDFs up on a web server so you can download them? Would that work?
- Dude says, "Nope, no external internet access."
- Okay, fine Dude, I'll send the first fax this afternoon. *sigh*.
- Find PDFs of my tax returns, and send an email requesting my ex-wife's tax returns from her.
- While waiting for her to send me her tax returns, I print out my tax returns (small), attempt to fax them to the dude via our company's physical fax machine. Process takes hours of me standing in the hall babysitting the fax machine because his fax number is too frequently busy or is dropping the call. Eventually get through one short 7-page physical fax. I get nothing else done that day because I had to stand there babysitting the machine. Actually it took trying on two different machines in two different hallways because I couldn't get the first one to work at all.
- Receive my ex-wife's taxes in PDF form. Hers are more complicated because she owns multiple properties. Her returns total something like 80 pages.
- Decide that there's no way I'm getting that through thanks to the trouble with the other short fax, so, instead of trying to send the whole thing, I print it all out and then sift through the printouts to just grab the relevant pages. It's still something like 20-30 pages though.
- Ask my girlfriend, who is an office manager at another company, if she can do the faxing and babysitting for me because her desk is next to a fax machine (i.e., she can do work and fax at the same time, unlike me who has to walk down the hall).
- My girlfriend says "yes, no problem, I'll just hook up my sheet-feed scanner and E-fax the whole thing. We recently switched from a physical fax machine to an e-fax subscription." Awesome, I say, thanks. I'd do that myself, but for the fact that I have no money in my bank accounts to pay for an e-fax subscription.
- She tries for two days and can't get through. Dude never gets the faxes she sent. E-fax appears to have gotten the faxes but has not sent her either a delivery confirmation nor a delivery failure message (usually you get one or the other). She ends up on tech support with E-fax who says, oh yeah, the version of the e-fax client you're using has bugs under Windows 7, so you'll seem to have trouble getting through. Just forget the client and go through the web interface.
- All this time Dude is saying "I'm not getting the faxes. Are you trying to send too many pages? Maybe send them in smaller chunks."
- Finally my girlfriend solves the problems with her e-fax account and it gets through.
- Dude says "I got the pages finally, we'll take care of this." (And they eventually did.)
- Dude, you should make sure your fax machine has paper in it, we had a hell of a time getting these faxes to you.
- Dude says "Oh, no, there's no paper. All my faxes come in PDF form, arriving in my email inbox via E-fax."
- *head asplode*

I'm having trouble actually counting the number of analog-to-digital conversions that those tax returns had to go to in order to reach the dude, when I should have just been able to email him the PDFS. All because of some strange draconian thing preventing them from making use of the technology they already have.

#351278 - 03/04/2012 17:53 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: tfabris]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Funny, my rep at the CA FTB can get emails...

#351282 - 03/04/2012 18:27 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: tfabris]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
You got lucky, most ex-wives I know would be vindictive enough to not quite say 'pound sand', but ignore the request and say she lost the returns, etc.

#351284 - 03/04/2012 19:01 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: larry818]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: larry818
Funny, my rep at the CA FTB can get emails...

Yeah. I specifically asked the guy and he said no, he can't. So that's a stumper, innit? smile

#351285 - 03/04/2012 19:03 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tim
You got lucky, most ex-wives I know would be vindictive enough to not quite say 'pound sand', but ignore the request and say she lost the returns, etc.

Agreed. She is an awesome person, and we are still on good terms.

#351290 - 03/04/2012 22:58 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Arn't property taxes, in calif, collected by the county tax assessor?

#351291 - 03/04/2012 23:10 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that they were after property taxes now that you mention it. Maybe they were after income tax. The point was that they did the moneygrab because they got a 1099 for the mortgage on a CA property that still had my name+SSN on it (jointly owned by me and my ex-wife) and *assumed* that therefore I must still be living in CA and responsible for taxes in the state. I don't even recall exactly what they were after. All I know is that it was because of that 1099. Interestingly, a big part of the clusterfuck is due to the fact the mortgage company has our SSN's backwards (me and my ex-wife's), and has had them backwards for years despite our attempts at getting them to fix it.

#351294 - 03/04/2012 23:55 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Glad it worked out.

BTW. If the property belongs to her, but still has your name on it... Maybe it time to get a title company, to do the paperwork, and get that resolved.

#351305 - 04/04/2012 12:23 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: gbeer]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Since this seems to be the official "Apple Hate Thread of The Week", I'll leave this here. Everyone should fire up Software Update and pull down the new Java update, which does, in fact, patch the vulnerability in question (and it's a nasty one.)

#351308 - 04/04/2012 13:09 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: tonyc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tonyc
Everyone should fire up Software Update and pull down the new Java update, which does, in fact, patch the vulnerability in question (and it's a nasty one.)

Very much agreed. The vulnerability is in use in the wild, and all it takes is visiting a page with a certain java applet. No prompts will appear and the machine can be compromised.

Lion users may not see the security update, since Java is no longer installed by default, and is removed even if you do an upgrade from Snow Leopard. To check if it is installed, run the Java Preferences in the Utilities folder. If Java is not installed, you will see a prompt to download it. Just click cancel if you have no use for it.

Java and Flash are pretty much the two biggest security risks when browsing the web these days. I've got Flash uninstalled on all my machines now (using Chrome and it's sandbox only when I need Flash, otherwise I use a flash free browser). The Java plugin is only turned on if I want to play a demo at Gaikai.

#351309 - 04/04/2012 13:25 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: drakino]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I wish CrashPlan wasn't a Java app frown

#351311 - 04/04/2012 15:27 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: gbeer]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Tony, I was relating your tax problem to a coworker.

He thought it interesting that, while the Cali Tax Board couldn't find your address, they sure knew how to find your money!

#351317 - 04/04/2012 19:13 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: gbeer
He thought it interesting that, while the Cali Tax Board couldn't find your address, they sure knew how to find your money!

The extreme Morissettian irony of this was not lost on me, let me assure you.

#351318 - 04/04/2012 19:19 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
BTW. If the property belongs to her, but still has your name on it... Maybe it time to get a title company, to do the paperwork, and get that resolved.

That's what's known as an "Assumption", and you actually have to qualify for it much the same way as you have to qualify for a loan or a refinance package. She actually tried at one point and couldn't. Out of several jointly-owned properties, it was the only one she couldn't do. The other option is a full re-fi, but that's even harder to qualify for.

The interesting footnote is that, starting this year, she has quitclaim deeded the property over to me, because she's filed for bankruptcy, and left this property (and thus my name) off of the bankruptcy. I've taken it over now. Suddenly it *is* my responsibility again (just not for the tax years that the FTB was whining about). Now the shoe is on the other foot: Do I do the assumption? Going over the options with my tax guy, he says it's not important to actually do the assumption as long as she and I fill out the tax forms correctly. smile

#351330 - 05/04/2012 13:05 Re: Does it make any sense? This is Apple [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The Java update showed up for me last night in Software Update in Lion.

Incidentally, everything is now set up with my corporate developer account. I'm trying to forget the hassle it was getting to this point.