Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#358066 - 02/04/2013 16:59 Skype PSTN phone adapters for Windows 7 64 bit?
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

I am currently upgrading my main computer to windows 7 ultimate from XP, mainly for reasons of needing more memory. Anyway, it has gone fairly smoothly, only the normal microsoft type problems summed up by a small pop-up box essentially saying "There was an error", leaving it as an exercise for the user to work out what error, where, why, and so on.

I have been pleasantly surprised about compatibility, only one program so far that won't work, and only one item of hardware. This last is the problem.

I have an old US Robotics 9620 USB to PSTN phone adapter, which I use with Skype and my Plantronics DECT headset, and it allows me to use both the normal phone and skype pretty much seamlessly. I spend a lot of time on the phone, and a non-hands-free system is not an option, but a microphone on the desk also won't work due to quite a lot of background noise.

Unfortunately, there are no drivers for this thing newer than about 2004 or so, and no 64 bit ones at all. I have spent a couple of hours looking around and it looks like this class of device isn't actually made at all now. There was a D-link one (which may have been the same device in a different box) and a few far east variants, a Zoom one (the 5900), which is the only one I can find with 64 bit drivers, and a couple of others, all discontinued.

The Zoom 5900 apparently can work with the vista 64 bit drivers under win7, but there are some issues, and anyway the thing is basically unavailable. Other than that, the more recent devices of a similar nature seem to be standalone skype gateway boxes, which have a number of limitations, don't seem to work the way I really want them to, and are in any case mostly quite pricey.

Have I missed something? Anyone know where I can get a device that will allow me to plug a normal phone into skype, with all the normal PC based skype functions such as video calling?

pca

#358068 - 02/04/2013 17:41 Re: Skype PSTN phone adapters for Windows 7 64 bit? [Re: pca]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am in need of a similar solution, for which I have been postponing the hunt.

I need a handsfree headset that I can use for VOIP (SIP) communications and would work with Bluetooth for computer, mobile phone, etc.

I would expect Skype can work with Bluetooth headsets. Is it the control of Skype that is the issue, if you are not near the computer?

I have been hoping that the folks behind TheBoom TheBoom would move into the Bluetooth world, but is seems to not be happening. Noise rejection and audio quality are important for me.

#358071 - 02/04/2013 18:56 Re: Skype PSTN phone adapters for Windows 7 64 bit? [Re: K447]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: K447
I would expect Skype can work with Bluetooth headsets. Is it the control of Skype that is the issue, if you are not near the computer?

The bluetooth headset is connected to the audio chain of the computer and its operating system, not to a specific piece of software like Skype. In other words, a bluetooth headset is no different from any other headphone with a built-in microphone, as far as Skype is concerned. So of course any bluetooth headset will work with Skype, provided your computer has Bluetooth.

Regarding your question about being near the computer: Bluetooth is very short range. You *have* to be near the computer to maintain the bluetooth connection. It depends on the device, but, once you start going farther away than, say, within the same room, you start losing connection. I've got problems keeping the wireless bluetooth keyboard on my Mac Mini working, when I'm on the couch and the Mini is beside the TV set.

#358074 - 02/04/2013 19:05 Re: Skype PSTN phone adapters for Windows 7 64 bit? [Re: tfabris]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is part of why I have been reticent to dive into the hunt for a good wireless headset solution for my needs.

A WiFi + Bluetooth combo headset may be needed to provide the walk around range I would want to have.

Skype integration seems to be a sticky issue. Although if I move to a proper VOIP service then Skype would not matter so much.

Multiple fragments of functionality need to be brought together...

#358078 - 02/04/2013 21:50 Re: Skype PSTN phone adapters for Windows 7 64 bit? [Re: tfabris]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
The USR box was pretty useful, because it integrated nicely with the normal phone. I can use my plantronics DECT headset, which has much better range than bluetooth, or any of the other normal phones connected to the DECT base station plugged into the box. When skype is called the phones ring with one specific ringtone, and when the PSTN lines calls I get another, different ringtone. Aside from an occasional random crash of the application (which stops it answering again, but doesn't affect a call in progress) it all works quite well.

I really want similar facilities (ideally without the occasional random crashes smile ) on something a little more modern than 2004.

pca