Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#362973 - 19/11/2014 18:06 My life is surreal.
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Any MST3K fans?

Last night was our last rehearsal before the big Thanksgiving Versus Christmas musical tonight. It's a thing that my friend Molly Lewis is doing with a bunch of her friends.

In addition to the fact that the musical is awesome and hilarious, and that it's filled with great performers and musicians, it also happens to include one of Molly's more well-known friends, Kevin Murphy.

My band is the house band for this show, so last night I spent an evening in a room with about 20 amazing and interesting people, and occasionally being in the backing band for someone that I've been a fan of for over 20 years, and whose current work still utterly slays me. Outside of the actual rehearsal, I also got a chance to just chat with him a bit, and he's just a really nice person. I think (I hope) I managed to be calm and professional, and not fanboy on him too much.

And of course, for his part in the show, he's just absolutely killing it. He's perfectly cast as an angry Santa that's fed up with how the Christmas season starts too early every year. He nailed his song and all the over-the-top parts of his role, and it felt surreal to be the one playing the music to back him up. I'm pretty excited about this.

I think there are one or two BBS members here in the Seattle area? Highly recommend you come to the show tonight, it's going to be hilarious and awesome. Tickets here, for both the 7pm and the 10pm shows.

#362974 - 20/11/2014 02:20 Re: My life is surreal. [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Fantastic! That's amazing, Tony, and I wish I were in the area so I could see it.

I've always been a huge MST3K fan. Wired had a great interview with the major players recently.

#362976 - 20/11/2014 09:25 Re: My life is surreal. [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That's a great writeup! Thanks for that link!

I just got back from the actual show itself, and it was an absolute hoot. There will be a live album of it coming out at some point, which Molly already has pre-orders up for at mollylewis.bandcamp.com.

After the show we hung out for a couple hours in the venue's bar with some of the entourage including Kevin, and it was really fun, there was great conversation about classic comedy. Everyone was just so nice and we were all happy after having done two great shows.

After Molly's last show at the same venue, I thought she couldn't top it, but she really did this time. Now I have no idea how she'll top tonight's show. I'm sure she'll figure something out.

Awesome and surreal night.

#362980 - 20/11/2014 20:03 Re: My life is surreal. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

A few photos from the show. All photos from Instagram by Kristine 'GermanCityGirl' Hassell.

Attachments
2014-11-19 - Kevin Murphy at ThxVsXmas - photo by Kristine 'GermanCityGirl' Hassell.jpg

2014-11-19 - ThxVsXmas cast photo by Kristine 'GermanCityGirl' Hassell.jpg

2014-11-19 - ThxVsXmas exuberant ending - Photo by Kristine 'GermanCityGirl' Hassell.jpg

#362981 - 20/11/2014 20:32 Re: My life is surreal. [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Is that you with the long hair, or is the band missing from these pix?

Looks like fun!

#362990 - 21/11/2014 15:14 Re: My life is surreal. [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It is true, my hair is very long these days! And getting longer by the hour!

(Cartoon by Jade Gordon. Depicted in third panel is our beloved costumer Torrey.)

#362991 - 21/11/2014 15:54 Re: My life is surreal. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Cast photo pic, participants L to R:

Back row:
Sunnie Larsen, Fiddle, "Vixy & Tony".
Marian Call, performer, singer.
Josh Cagan, script writer, offstage effects and voices.
Seth Boyer, Guitarist for Marian, performer, singer.
Angela Webber, performer, singer, guitarist, "The Doubleclicks".
Aubrey Webber, performer, singer, cellist, "The Doubleclicks".
Sarah Shay, performer, singer, "The Mongrel Jews".
Kevin Murphy, performer, singer.
Tony Fabris, guitarist "Vixy & Tony".

Middle row, left side:
Betsy Tinney, cellist, "Vixy & Tony".
Michelle "Vixy" Dockrey, performer, singer, drummer, "Vixy & Tony".
Nicole Dieker, performer, singer, "Hello, the Future!".

Bottom row:
Joseph Scrimshaw, director, narrator.
Molly Lewis, performer, singer, ukulele, songwriter (all songs).
Kiri Callaghan, performer, singer.
Annie Hughes, performer, singer, harmonica, "The Mongrel Jews".
Brandi Murphy, backstage support.
Sara Scrimshaw, stage manager.

Not pictured:
Aaron Shay, performer, singer, banjo, "The Mongrel Jews".