Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#373627 - 02/12/2021 09:26 spectrum analyzer from red to UV
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I wonder if I could change the lights to UV in my spectrum analyzer which looks like this except it has a black case. I would have a moving black light in my car. I found a web site that sells the little UV bulbs.

#373631 - 02/12/2021 14:35 Re: spectrum analyzer from red to UV [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The empeg doesn't have "lights". It has a single, 32x128 Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD).

That aside, what one can do, is build a separate display as shown in the photo you posted, control it with something like an Arduino or RaspberryPi. Then connect that to the empeg using Ethernet, and have the separate display repeatedly fetch the empeg's screen contents and redisplay them on the custom LEDs.

The empeg Web Lite interface as well as the Android app both do something similar, so those could be used as reference code for a starting point. It should be pretty simple in the end.

Cheers

#373634 - 02/12/2021 17:00 Re: spectrum analyzer from red to UV [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

I understand the empeg doesnt have lights. This is totally separate. It has a mic and just displays whatever sound it picks up from the speakers or your voice through a mic directly plugged into this unit. I posted something similar in another area about creating a visual on the empeg and use the empeg as a spectrum analyzer if I could change a visual. I did notice I could change the visuals, superimpose Hz values. If I used this spectrum analyzer, I dont need it connected to any stereo. I would actually want it separate so it would pick up the sound through the mic, which would account for everything affecting the sound coming from the speakers, for example things in the way, like seats or your leg or vibrations caused by the speakers themselves. Just wondering about changing the lights to UV lights.

#373635 - 02/12/2021 17:09 Re: spectrum analyzer from red to UV [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

Though the empeg does have a button illumination kit that you can order in UV for the buttons. If I was able to somehow change the bulbs in this spectrum analyzer to UV bulbs, then it would match the empegs UV button kit. I have a regular light kit with blue buttons that I may use for the empeg. It seems light a lot of work to change every bulb to UV bulbs. The spectum analyzer has 270 bulbs.

#373637 - 02/12/2021 21:37 Re: spectrum analyzer from red to UV [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

#373638 - 03/12/2021 08:27 Re: spectrum analyzer from red to UV [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

OK the dangers of UV lighting. I know the black lights(UV) you can buy at places have a film on them that protects the eye from the damaging effects. I used to buy 4 ft long florescent tubes that had the film on them. Does the empeg illumination kit are a form that has a protection built in, if these small LED are strong enough to damage your eyes why would someone build a kit for the empeg?. I dont know why you could buy UV lights in LED that would destroy your eye sight. I understand that they do have UV systems that use the light to kill bacteria in drinking water. I use to have one. So now you have me second guessing myself if I should attempt tht or even buy an empeg UV light kit. Which I was going to order tomorrow. Already talked to Eutronix.

#373640 - 03/12/2021 09:30 Re: spectrum analyzer from red to UV [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

I did some reading and it depends on the type of LED bulb that is being used for UV lighting. Some LED say they emit UV, but actually dont. However, there are some HID(high intensity discharge) bulbs that do give of true UV light, which causes damage to the eyes. You can also buy LED lights that are in the UV spectrum. Anyway...

#373641 - 03/12/2021 10:23 Re: spectrum analyzer from red to UV [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The only way a film could protect your eyes from the UV, if you are looking at the light that is emitting UV, is by blocking the UV. At which point they aren't UV lights anymore.

And yes, LEDs designed to emit UV light very much do emit UV light.

#373642 - 03/12/2021 18:36 Re: spectrum analyzer from red to UV [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

I dont think I am going to add the LED bulbs to the spectrum analyzer. Do you know Hyundai plans on adding UV dome lights to some car models to kill bacteria? So what about "Black Lights?" What type of like do you consider them? Have I know screwed my eyes up forever, because I used to have black lights when I was a teenager? I dont plan on having bright "Black Lights" in my car affecting my ability to drive. I am not looking for a set of tanning bed lights in my car giving myself a tan and possibly a sunburn leading to cancer. I am really now just wondering how the UV light kit looks in the empeg player.

#373643 - 03/12/2021 20:12 Re: spectrum analyzer from red to UV [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
To be clear, I'm not saying whether or not UV LEDs in an empeg is or is not a good idea.

"Black Light" is common term for UV lights. Some UV lights have a filter to filter out the visible blue light that the lamps also tend to produce. So some UV lights look quite dim, while actually emiting large amounts of UV.

It is all about power, distance and exposure time. Increase any of those and the risk goes up (and with distance the increase isn't linear).

I have one of those insect zappers in my kitchen, which has UV tubes in it. But then I don't spend lots of time looking at it and we don't stand close to it for long periods of time.

It looks like the Hyundai were just playing around with the idea, I can't see that really happening. UV also ages plastics, so pumping it into a car interior, even if it is only when it is locked with no one in it doesn't sound like a great idea...

#373645 - 04/12/2021 05:52 Re: spectrum analyzer from red to UV [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

Ok. I agree. In an earlier term what I meant about the film was maybe just referring to a filter. In any case I thought it may be an interesting option to have a UV light kit for the empeg and create a phosphorescent fascia. You have an opyion to increase or decrease the level of illumination on the empeg for the buttons. With the the hijack kernal. Anyway I think if anything I would add a LED kit to my car so I could surround the area of my stereo console and underneath the dash. You can get a kit that will do 16 million colors, react to the beat of music or you can set the intensity or pattern. The only thing is I am not a teenager anymore and would look out of place. But screw it I always wanted something similar. I wont screw with my spectrum analyzer trying to change it to UV lights. Too big of a project trying to change 270 lights. Also concerning the UV lights, I wouldnt be staring at a low intensity black light.