Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#373786 - 17/03/2022 14:07 Windows 11
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Anyone tried it yet? I've had a notification to say I can upgrade but it's Microsoft so...

#373787 - 17/03/2022 21:20 Re: Windows 11 [Re: tahir]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tahir
Anyone tried it yet?

I'm running it on my Surface Book 3 and Surface Go (Insider program should be OK on Microsoft hardware, right? Right?). It's OK. Nothing ground-breaking that I can see.

#373788 - 18/03/2022 03:34 Re: Windows 11 [Re: tahir]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
There is nothing in Windows 11 that would be of any use to me that does not work perfectly well in my copy of Windows 10. I have my Windows 10 configured exactly the way I want it, it is surprisingly robust and bug free in the usage I put it to, it runs every piece of software I own without problems.

Why would I want to change over to some new, possibly buggy software that offers me* no advantages over what I already have, and that would violate my precious mantra of "If it's different from what I'm used to, it can't be any good!"

*I realize that there are no doubt people much more advanced in their usage than I am, for whom the extra bells and whistles in Window 11 could be advantageous. But for me... not so much.

tanstaafl.

#373789 - 18/03/2022 07:57 Re: Windows 11 [Re: tahir]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
My experience with Windows 11 so far has been mostly, meh.

Not only does the Start menu/task bar default to the daft location (and the Start menu button location moves about the whole time) of the middle of the screen, but that the only other option is left aligning it on the bottom of the screen. You no longer have the option to have it positioned vertically on the left or right of the screen.

I've had my task bar (on both Mac and Windows) on the right side of the screen since they had task bars, so I'm very happy I don't have to use Win 11 for work.

The UI generally feels half finished, just like Windows often does.

#373790 - 18/03/2022 08:05 Re: Windows 11 [Re: tahir]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
There is loads of UI consistent inconsistency, where you can/cannot navigate the UI with arrow keys is completely random:

- search screen, you can navigate it all with up/down arrow keys (but not left/right)
- start menu, you can use both up/down/left/right in some areas, in another area only left/right and you can _mostly_ only switch sections with tab
- lock screen, you can only navigate with tab, no arrow keys. Until that is you open the power menu, then you can navigate with only up/down and you can't tab out of the menu, you need to use escape for that

It feels like the different teams for different (but adjacent) areas of the UI never used the other features...

#373792 - 18/03/2022 12:32 Re: Windows 11 [Re: tahir]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
So typical MS new release then smile