Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#41307 - 10/10/2001 16:03 Tinkering with empeg dev.
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
Ok maybe it's just my nature but I can never leave well enough alone till I know all I can find out about it.

Granted I don't know much about linux, what better time to learn when you get a wonderfull linux toy? So heres my question, I've got a spare computer sitting here, what should I put on it in order to tinker with the empeg software and see how badly I can break it? Not that it's going to be put on my empeg but I love to pull stuff apart (software wise) and see what's going on. My guess is newest version of Debian (downloading as we speak) but what other additions to a normal install should I get? What exact files off the empeg site should I get and what items to edit, view, recompile these files. Also if there a way to locally run the software on the machine to see how it runs so I don't have to kill my empeg to see what I broke?

Thanks for any help that someone may be able to give me.

Future Blue MK2 20GiG Owner.

Blue MK2 20 Gig #090000956 4796 Songs Available at all times.

#41308 - 11/10/2001 02:37 Re: Tinkering with empeg dev. [Re: CyberGlitch]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
For development for the empeg, you'll need a cross-compiler. The best place to find one is by following the links from smu's Web site, Programming the Empeg. I used Hulkster's pre-compiled toolchain and it all worked perfectly (on Debian 'woody', various i686 machines).

The next thing to do is to compile "Hello World" and see if it runs on the empeg - remember to use arm-linux-gcc -Wall. You'll need to install the minicom and rzsz packages to do the transfer - remember to make the filesystem read/write before attempting the transfer!

After that, the limit is your imagination...

--
Toby Speight - 040103385