Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#45434 - 07/11/2001 11:26 TiVo codes.
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hey all,

Check out this thread!

http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum9/HTML/000174.html

- Jon

#45435 - 07/11/2001 16:55 Re: TiVo codes. [Re: jbauer]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Love my TiVo!

I currently have a hacked TiVo (added a 60GB to a 14hr), and once I get my 10GB Rio Car, I plan on hacking it. I imagine it's a pretty similar process.

#45436 - 07/11/2001 16:58 Re: TiVo codes. [Re: svferris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I imagine it's a pretty similar process.

I'll bet it's easier. Does Tivo provide its users with an easy-to-use formatting/partitioning utility?

#45437 - 07/11/2001 18:13 Re: TiVo codes. [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

Does Tivo provide its users with an easy-to-use formatting/partitioning utility?

Tivo doesn't... But there is one out there that's pretty damn foolproof.

But of course, Tivo also invalidates your warranty COMPLETELY the moment you apply force via a screwdriver to the first screw on the cover.

You break it, you get to keep both halves. Even if you didn't break it, and something completely unrelated happens... You can still keep both of them. If it didn't come from the factory, Tivo will have nothing to do with it. Of course, they also don't actively discourage or prevent it from happenning (which would be VERY easy for them to do.)

That's one nice thing about Empeg. You break the HD doing an upgrade, you pay for it. You break something WHILE doing the upgrade, you pay for it. Something ELSE breaks that you obviously didn't touch, they will work with you. Tivo, you might as well toss it out the door.

*Sigh* It's a bad state of affairs when the BEST companies out there are the ones that don't go after you when you open the product you bought.

Shame there aren't many of them.

#45438 - 07/11/2001 18:36 Re: TiVo codes. [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'll bet it's easier. Does Tivo provide its users with an easy-to-use formatting/partitioning utility?

For all the (well deserved) bashing the DishPlayer got, it still had the best hard drive upgrade. No warranty seals broken, and all that was needed was a swapout of the old drive with the new one. Turn the player back on and let it talk over the phone line for a bit. After that it reset, and grabbed the newest code via satelite.

And on another note, this is what the top of my post screen says here in this fourm:
Fill out the form below to post a message on the forum. HTML is disabled. Markup is enabled, so you may use markup in your posts.

#45439 - 08/11/2001 01:37 Re: TiVo codes. [Re: tfabris]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
If you're curious about the procedure, here's the site that'll tell you everything you want to know.

http://www.tivofaq.com/hack/