Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#46813 - 15/11/2001 14:50 XP Q.
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Yup...bit the bullet and installed XP today. Not bad, but I haven't seen any real improvement over win 2000 which I was running before.

I chose the windows classic desktop theme and the classic start button too, because those that came with XP reminded me too much of "teletubbies", especially that background of that big lawn and those bright colors.

But I still have some questions.

Most important : where o where has the possibility gone to put those icons on your...erm...don't know the correct term in English, but the "stripe" next to the start button. You know, since win '98 there was the possibility to put some icons there for quick launches. Very handy, especially the one that minimized ALL programs at once. I never knew I used those buttons that much, but now that I can't anymore it's really driving me crazy. Is there a possibility to bring that option back?

2) I've noticed that IE 6 has a way of "combining" multiple open windows into ONE button at the bottom of the screen. Again, I find this VERY annoying. How can I turn this option off?

3) Before, in explorer, if I chose the "as webpage" option, I would get to see a preview of the file in the explorer windows. (either picture or movie, or mp3,...). Can I get this back too please?

Thanks!

#46814 - 15/11/2001 15:06 Re: XP Q. [Re: BartDG]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I am using Windows 2000 and currently have no plans on "upgrading" to XP. If you just want to get to the desktop quick, I find hitting "Windows Key + D" or "Windows Key + M" more convenient.

#46815 - 15/11/2001 15:37 Re: XP Q. [Re: robricc]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Ah, great! Never knew that about the "Windows Key + D" and "Windows Key + M" function.

One problem solved!

#46816 - 15/11/2001 15:52 Re: XP Q. [Re: BartDG]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I'm glad you found that helpful. Another Windows Key shortcut I use often is "Windows Key + E". That one opens explorer with all drives collapsed.

#46817 - 15/11/2001 15:55 Re: XP Q. [Re: BartDG]
h_blake
stranger

Loc: Bedford, UK
You need to unlock the taskbar by right clicking on an empty part of it and de-selecting the 'Lock the Taskbar' option. It will then behave pretty much as it did in Win2K.

The setting that controls the combination of multiple instances of the same application is in the taskbar properties and can be reached by right-clicking the start button and selecting properties.

There is a new thumbnail view in Explorer that might be the answer to your 2nd problem.

#46818 - 15/11/2001 18:26 Re: XP Q. [Re: BartDG]
Diznario
enthusiast

Loc: Portland OR
1) Right click on the task bar (That's what it's called) and a menu will pop up. Select toolbars, and then check "Quick Launch".

2) I'm not sure if there is normally an option for adjusting this, but I changed mine using TweakUI. This is of course one of the PowerToys. If you haven't used this tool, I highly reccommend it.

3) It should be right there, in that frame on the left hand side of Explorer. The section you are looking for is called "Details", and it's the one on the bottom. You may just need to click on the little double arrow in the corner, in order to open that section. It looks like this >>, only it points up or down, instead of left or right.

BTW - From the sounds of it, you are turning off most of the things that really make XP any different than 2000, so no, you probably won't see much difference.

Oh yeah, make sure you check out "Clear Type". That is much improved over "Smooth edges of screen fonts".

Hope this helps!

#46819 - 15/11/2001 22:26 Re: XP Q. [Re: robricc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
In reply to:

I am using Windows 2000 and currently have no plans on "upgrading" to XP.

That's odd. I'm currently running Windows 2000 and I do have plans to upgrade to FreeBSD.

#46820 - 16/11/2001 01:07 Re: XP Q. [Re: Diznario]
drakino
carpal tunnel

<I>2) I'm not sure if there is normally an option for adjusting this, but I changed mine using TweakUI. This is of course one of the PowerToys. If you haven't used this tool, I highly reccommend it. </I>

Right click on an empty piece of the taskbar, go to properties, and uncheck "Group similar taskbar items".

Biggest hint of XP that I can give is go into every properties that you can. That means right click on My Computer, and many other places. There are so many ways to customize XP to fit your usage patterns.

And I ICQ'ed a friend a good list of reasons why I run XP, even though I don't like it that much. Here they are:

"1. I like the shell enhancements. Not the Luna crap, but the other minor things.
2. Eventually it's going to be more of a pain to load 2k on my systems compaired to XP due to age and drivers needed. (Though the time taken to tweak things back to 2000 style does offset this a bit)
3. Pro aparently dosen't have the open sockets problem
4. I can get rid of MSN messenger and Media player 8 (I'm using Trillian and Media Player 6.4/WinAmp)
5. I have an official no activation version, complements of work.

I don't like XP, but Windows is something I have to use, so I might as well use the best of all of them."

#46821 - 16/11/2001 04:36 Re: XP Q. [Re: Diznario]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Robricc :
Thanks! But that one I knew. I use it very frequently. That one and the <flag>+<R> command.

H_Blake :
I've unlocked the taskbar, but I really don't see what this option does. After I enbled quicklaunch again (curtosy of Diznario), I did have to unlock it to be able to scroll further to the right, to enable more thumbnails on the task bar. Is this really all this feature does?

Diznario :
1) I've got my quick launches back! Yay! Thanks a lot!
2) I am using tweak UI. I have used this since win'98 (in those times this little handy util even came with the OS on the CD)
3)This one is a mystery to me. I can't really locate what you're trying to say. Little double arrow in the corner? >>? Sorry, can't seem to find it. On the left hand side of explorer there's my folders overview (directory structure + the rest). I've looked but can't see >>
I've always put my explorer in 'details' format because I want to see everything about my files. I know XP has a new "tiles" and "pictogram" format (I hope I'm translating this correctly), but this is not what I'm looking for. I have way too many files and the only way to provide a descent overview is with the "details" option. But with '98 and 2000 I could see a preview of the file on the left side of my "details" section. I would very much to have this feature back.

I'm not turning everything off that differs Xp from 2000. (I sure hope XP differs in more things than just it's cosmetics, because that's all I've changed) I'm using the "old style" taskbar because I find it easier to use after 5 years of habitual use and I switched the desktop theme to "windows classic". Mostly because in Eudora, all my windows were outlined with a bright blue line, which was very annoying to type in. I did like the new XP look, or at least I could get accustomed to it, but you try typing long emails in those flashy boxes and see what you do!

Where can I find this "clear type" you're mentioning?

Drakino :
Thanks for showing me the way to ungroup my taskbar item. I can't believe I've missed that one. Actually, this is one feature I'm still in doubt of weather I'll leave it like that and get used to it or disable it. I can see the benfits of it though, so I think I'll give it a go.

Thanks all!

#46822 - 16/11/2001 11:41 Re: XP Q. [Re: BartDG]
Diznario
enthusiast

1) No problem. Now that I thnk of it, I have no idea why this isn't enabled by default, it seems like most people use it.

2) Cool cool. Sounds like you know what's up. Also sounds like the fix Drakino is talking about should work just fine.

3) ok... Take a look at the attached screen shot. Is this what you are looking for? that big blue section on the left is enabled by turning on "Show common tasks in folders", which is under folder options.

4) Clear Type - Open "Display Properties, go to the "Appearence" tab, and click on the "Effects" button. It's right there, the second check box down.

As far as the XP vs. 2000 stuff goes, yeah, you're right. There is much more too it than just cosmetics. I just meant that the cosmetic stuff is the obvious stuff, and you might not notice the other stuff. Compatibility and reliability are both improved, better SMP (Multi Proccessors), personal Firewall, dual network locations for laptops, anti aliased display fonts (True Type), etc. There is a bunch of stuff.

Anyway, hope this stuff helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Attachments
45586-Details.jpg (125 downloads)

#46823 - 16/11/2001 11:56 Re: XP Q. [Re: Diznario]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
that big blue section on the left is enabled by turning on "Show common tasks in folders", which is under folder options.

Ah, what a wonderfully intuitive option.

#46824 - 16/11/2001 12:52 Re: XP Q. [Re: Diznario]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

ok... Take a look at the attached screen shot. Is this what you are looking for? that big blue section on the left is enabled by turning on "Show common tasks in folders", which is under folder options.

Yes, that is what I'm looking for, but still I can't seem to find it. My Xp being in a different language doesn't help either. Not all translations are exact. Eg. I see that your third menu option is called "view". Well, mine is called "beeld", which, if you look it up in any dictionary will be translated as "image" or "picture".
So I'm going to have to ask you if you'll guide me. I can orientate myself through the picture you've just posted. Could you please tell me : eg : the third menu option (view), the fourth option down, etc...
Sorry to be such a nuisance.

Thanks!

#46825 - 16/11/2001 12:54 Re: XP Q. [Re: tfabris]
Diznario
enthusiast

Classic M$.

#46826 - 16/11/2001 13:00 Re: XP Q. [Re: Diznario]
robricc
carpal tunnel

While we're on the topic, I thought I'd post this. If I saw this in the US, I would see it as an act of desperation. However, I am not sure I can comment on Japanese marketing practices.

Attachments
45616-nxpb4.jpg (117 downloads)

#46827 - 16/11/2001 13:08 Re: XP Q. [Re: BartDG]
Diznario
enthusiast

OK... I'll give it a shot. Here's exactly what it's like on my system:

The fifth menu option is "Tools". Open that up, and click on the last option, called "Folder Options..." The first tab is called "General", and the first item on that page says "Show common tasks in folders".

Now, I have now idea what it's going to say on your system, but hopefully it's something similar.

Also, that bar on the left isn't there if you have the tree view enabled, so you might need to turn that off. Just click on the "Folders" icon to switch back and forth between views.

#46828 - 16/11/2001 13:10 Re: XP Q. [Re: robricc]
Diznario
enthusiast

Ha! That pic is hilarious!

You gotta love it...

#46829 - 16/11/2001 13:41 Re: XP Q. [Re: robricc]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
robricc: However, I am not sure I can comment on Japanese marketing practices.

From what I saw of Akibahara, this example is pretty subdued!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#46830 - 16/11/2001 15:26 Re: XP Q. [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The part that annoys me about the grouping is when it ties them all into one icon. I like the fact that at work with my two layer bar, all my browsers stay togther. But if I open just enough, they all combine, and can't be undone until all of them are closed.

The other annoyning part that I am still searching for a solution for is the zip folder support. I don't mind it being there, but every time I use find files, it looks in zip files, even over the network. My last network search took 3 hours, compaired to 10 mins in 2k.

Oh, and theres always the person over in the UK modifying MS ads...

Edited by Drakino (16/11/2001 16:00)

#46831 - 16/11/2001 20:08 Re: XP Q. [Re: drakino]
synergy
enthusiast

OH MY GOD.

THAT'S GREAT.

#46832 - 17/11/2001 04:23 Re: XP Q. [Re: Diznario]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Ah! I found it! And, as I expected, the meaning really got lost in the translation.

Thanks for your help!