Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#47701 - 23/11/2001 21:47 Easily the best forum
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Ok, I just did a little unofficial survey. I had to go back 5 pages of 25 topics each to find the first post that contained a question without at least 1 follow-up. And even then, the post was more of a suggestion than any type of question for help.

Now take a look at any other forum, and I don't care for what topic, and you're hard-pressed to find this type of community.

I'm pretty impressed. Especially after cruising the Phatbox forum for a while and getting a really uneasy feeling. Felt much better as soon as I closed the page. :) Glad I'm not in that boat, though YMMV.

Anyway, just an observation.

Bruno

Happy belated turkey-day to all those in the US btw - though I know most of you guys stretch it the entire weekend :)

#47702 - 23/11/2001 22:43 Re: Easily the best forum [Re: hybrid8]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I think the empeg tends to attrack people who are over 18 and more mature (no offence to any under 18 immature people ) probably due the the price.

if you really want to see some bad forums try reading one on a console gaming website.

Matt

#47703 - 24/11/2001 13:59 Re: Easily the best forum [Re: msaeger]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
> no offence to any under 18 immature people

What if I'm over 18 but immature?

Tere are a few things to make this board a really good community.
1) There is a high entry fee, you must own an empeg to be able to post suitable on here. There have been people who have asked question without owning one but usually they have had the desire to own one and want real information.
2) Trolling and flaming is not tolerated and everyone generally gets on.
3) there are a number (ever increasing) of people who have put an enormous amount of time into making things easier and better for everyone else. I wont make an honour roll here (you know who you are) and I don't want to offend anyone be omitting them. Hey, if anyone has contributed something here which helped someone else, they are a valuable part of the community.

This type of site is really rare.

#47704 - 24/11/2001 14:39 Re: Easily the best forum [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey, you're preaching to the choir. We all know this is the best forum on the internet. Surprised you've only just noticed it.

I've only found one other that comes close. The Mitsubishi forum at Home Theater Spot. And even that one still has a certain amount of noise.

I think that's what makes this BBS the most special: Its signal-to-noise ratio is as good as you could ever hope for. Everyone who participates is very good about keeping things rolling smoothly. I don't know if you've noticed, but the BBS administrator hardly ever looks at the BBS at all. He doesn't need to, it runs itself. I can count the number of problem "incidents" on the fingers of one hand, and I wouldn't even need all of the fingers.

SNR is why I quit participating on Usenet a long time ago.

#47705 - 24/11/2001 15:41 Re: Easily the best forum [Re: hybrid8]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
i must admit i have looked at a few other forums and thought "this is no use i ain't coming back here"

And i don't think there is anywhere else where a question about a tuner can turn into a discussion about milk and biscuits

#47706 - 24/11/2001 15:51 Re: Easily the best forum [Re: thinfourth2]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Advanced visuals and animation in sync with playing music. Over 40.

Damn straight. :)

Tony, I noticed a while ago that this forum was special. However, recently, after going back through other forums, I gain an even greater appreciation for just HOW special it is. It is everything you mentioned, but also a very smooth and integrated BBS implementation. This software lends itself very well to this community and really allows the people here to maximize their contributions.

I was just browsing the PhatBox forum last night and even though their noise ratio is low, I could not stand to be on it for more than a few minutes, it was that unusable.

And all this for a product that is now EOL. Ah, SonicBlue, SonicBlue... We can always keep out fingers crossed.

Bruno

#47707 - 24/11/2001 22:40 Re: Easily the best forum [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
And thanks for contributing to the great community by helping others out (like me in the off-topic forum - by the way, those sites helped).

Another great forum was the Klipsch message board (Promedia section). I haven't visited there in quite some time, due to the fact that there's less to say about a set of speakers than the empeg, but it was great while I was there, and a group of people and I got along so well, that one of us registered his own copy of the UBB and has a small "private" forum now. I would say that's the best forum on the net, but we only have about 5 active users

#47708 - 25/11/2001 16:59 Re: Easily the best forum [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Thanks. At this rate I'll be at an "addict" status in no time. :)

Bruno