Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#55467 - 05/01/2002 16:43 HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..."
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
(Don't know what happened with my previous post, so I reposted it. The board froze during posting... story of my day it seems! [/me half laughs])

Here's the background:

(beta 7, hijack v89) Working fine yesterday. Today, while driving, tried to rewind a song. It started to, but then it stopped playing anything (the clock was still running, though). I tried advancing to the next song, it changed, but the music never started again. I rebooted using hijack and it did. It started to play, but locked up again. I rebooted again and this time advanced to the next song. That worked. It locked up on the next song, though. The process kept on like that for the rest of the drive.

I came home and tried to re-synch the player. I changed one tag and synch'd. It errored out with a 0x8004003e problem. The player never rebooted. I restarted Emplode, but got the same error. Closed Emplode down then tried powering up the player. It came on with the "Synchronizing" swirl and never did anything else. I powered off the player and restarted and now it won't go past the "Building music databases..." screen. The HDs stay running. Emplode can't find the player on USB or serial. I tried going back to beta3 and it did, but it still hangs at the "Building music databases..." screen.

I'm out of ideas!!! Anyone have any suggestions?!?! PLEASE! I'm about ready to begin using the backup unit I just got in from FedEx. If there's something I can do in Linux, I'll try, but I'm an amateur and would need step by step instructions. THANKS!

#55468 - 05/01/2002 16:53 Re: HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..." [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Go get 1.03 emplode and player software get rid of 2.07beta emplode install 1.03 emplode then downgrade the player to 1.03. then see what happens

your best bet is to play with 1.03 till you are happy then go for a beta as the betas can be buggy 1.03 is stable.

#55469 - 05/01/2002 17:12 Re: HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..." [Re: thinfourth2]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

I reverted back to version 1.03 and it hung on the reboot after applying the "upgrade". It's still sitting there at the "Building music databases..." I tried going into Emplode and it can't find the player on serial or USB.

Any other suggestions?

#55470 - 05/01/2002 17:27 Re: HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..." [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Check out my dealings with this problem in my post on the Bug Reports forum.

First thing you want to do is see what is on the serial output when the player starts up. Then you will probably have to delete the playlists, tags, and database files in /empeg/var and do a sync in Emplode to re-build your database.

Also as I found out last night, if you've got two hard drives and /drive1 fails, this can happen. /drive1 might be unavailable due to a loose cable (in my case) or if you're using the Hijack kernel, if you select the "one drive" option.

Please keep us posted on how things go, as I'm curious as to if this is a bug in 2.0b7 where the database somehow gets corrupted or something.

#55471 - 05/01/2002 18:05 Re: HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..." [Re: tonyc]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

I just checked the output on my serial connection and I'm getting a 'hda: lost interrupt' message after it says 'Starting player'. I'm guessing this could be a HD cable problem, no?

#55472 - 05/01/2002 19:04 Re: HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..." [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm I've never seen that one. A Google search with the terms "hda" and "lost interrupt" turned up a lot of talk about laptops with flaky advanced power management support, and a few failing motherboard/memory problems. I would check the cables, but wait for someone from Empeg (or someone familiar with that particular error message, possibly someone who spent a lot of time writing IDE drivers..) to comment before you crack open your Empeg (unless it's already been opened before.)

FWIW the error message I was getting was "database size mismatch" or something like that.

#55473 - 05/01/2002 20:45 Re: HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..." [Re: tonyc]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
>or someone familiar with that particular error message,
>possibly someone who spent a lot of time writing IDE drivers..

I wonder who that could be?

Well, since I put that message into the kernel, I suppose I ought to suggest something here.. Basically, with good hardware, that message will never be seen. So.. check the fscking cables!

Cheers

(onetime Linux IDE Guy)

#55474 - 06/01/2002 06:58 Re: HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..." [Re: mlord]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

LOL! Someone's been singled out. I want to check those cables, but I won't do it until I get the okay from someone at Empeg. Since, if it happens to not be the cables, I don't want to risk voiding the warranty. I know the guys have been good about this in the past, but I don't want to risk it.

Thanks for the help, guys! Now, I'm just waiting on someone from Empeg (sent support an email, too).

#55475 - 06/01/2002 16:06 Re: HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..." [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

I contacted Hugo and he gave me the go-ahead to open the player. The cable LOOKS fine (so did those backfiring sparkplugs, though ). I disconnected every connection on the IDE cable, carefully removing all that glue, cleaned up the cable of any excess glue lying around and then hooked it all back up. It hung at the "Building music databases..." screen for a long time, but, to my utter amazement, IT BOOTED! So, I went through a few tracks without any problems, checked out my playlists, etc., and everything seemed okay. Sadly, it wound up hanging again after a little while, just like before.

I'm going to ask SonicBlue to send me a replacement cable. Hopefully that'll solve the problems.

One more note I'd like to make: TONY-- AWESOME FAQ on how to take this thing apart!!! Very eloquently written--it even has a quick video on how the case cover comes off! The watchouts were terrific! Phenomenal work all around! Thanks! I know I couldn't have done it without your FAQ! (It's *got* to be good when the guys at Empeg refer you there!!!) Though, I thought doing a search on "opening case" would turn something up and it didn't. I settled on "case" and that worked.

#55476 - 06/01/2002 16:18 Re: HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..." [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
The video's the best bit IMNSHO .

#55477 - 06/01/2002 20:17 Re: HELP! Empeg locking up at "Building music db..." [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks, glad I could be of help. A lot of people provided information for that FAQ, too many to list.

Though, I thought doing a search on "opening case" would turn something up and it didn't. I settled on "case" and that worked.

The problem is that the search feature is exact phrase match only.