Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#66584 - 04/02/2002 11:43 How are windows shortcuts treated by Emplode
dda
stranger

Loc: Belgium
Hi,
Let's say I would like to prepare, in my windows directory, my playlists tree before receiving my Empeg player.
Let's say that on one side, I've created a "by artist" tree with album directories inside each artist directory, and on the other side a "by genre" tree with rock, rnb etc... directories in which I put windows shortcuts pointing to the songs in the "by artist" tree.
How will Emplode react in front of the windows shortcuts when I drag and drop those two trees under the Emplode root directory ? Will it convert the windows shortcuts in "emplode links" pointing to the unique song file maintainded by the Empeg environment ?

And a second question : What definies the uniqueness of a song ? the song filename or the song filename combined with the full directory path in which it seats in my windows computers ? or anything else ?

Are their some experimented users who could give me answers to those 2 questions ?

Thanks in advance,

DDA

#66585 - 04/02/2002 12:50 Re: How are windows shortcuts treated by Emplode [Re: dda]
dda
stranger

Someone there to help me to prepare my playlist trees before I receive my Empeg this week ?
Should be simple to answer for all of you who are already playing daily with this beauty.
Thanks in advance
DDA

#66586 - 04/02/2002 13:11 Re: How are windows shortcuts treated by Emplode [Re: dda]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
The following comment applies to 2.0, which is currently in beta:

The code is in emplode to follow Windows shortcuts. I don't know if it works correctly. I've never used it.

One problem that I can forsee is that it'll probably not deduplicate correctly -- i.e. if a shortcut points to an item that is imported from another location, you'll end up with two copies. I say this, because the .m3u import suffers from this problem.

As far as deduplication goes, a duplicate is spotted by using a subset of the ID3 tags compared with emplode's tags. This is by no means foolproof. It even has problems if you import two files with equivalent tags in the same drag-and-drop motion.

Eventually, it'll get fixed. Some of these issues are on the internal bug list already. Some aren't.

When you receive your player, have a play with it and report any that you find.

If, on the other hand, you don't fancy being used as a Guinea-pig (sp?), stick with v1.03, which is the last released stable version of the software.

#66587 - 04/02/2002 13:13 Re: How are windows shortcuts treated by Emplode [Re: dda]
Roger
carpal tunnel

And you waited, like, only just over an hour. Patience, grasshopper, and enlightenment shall be yours .

I suspect that very few people use the Windows shortcut feature (or they'd have complained by now).

#66588 - 04/02/2002 13:25 Re: How are windows shortcuts treated by Emplode [Re: Roger]
dda
stranger

Roger,

Could you let me know which subset of the ID3v2 tags are used to define if a file is already in there or not ?

When you say that a very few people use windows shortcuts, does it mean that most people are creating the links just with the emplode software and have to redo all the work if for any reason they have a disk crash ?

DDA

#66589 - 04/02/2002 13:34 Re: How are windows shortcuts treated by Emplode [Re: dda]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Duplicates

title, artist, source, year, duration (ms), and length (not including ID3 headers).

Shortcuts

Most people just organise their stuff broadly into playlists by using directories. They tend to set up their "mood" playlists separately.