Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#83659 - 26/03/2002 17:15 Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Now before I get FAQed by Tony, let me say I did do a board search and FAQ search.

Anyways it seems that when I insert a song in unshuffled mode, it gets placed somewhere else in the playlist. However in shuffle mode it correctly gets inserted after the currently playing song? I assume that in unshuffled mode the song is being placed at the very end but I haven't verified this since I'm not sure how to jump to song 38xx or whatever in a playlist.

Is this what's supposed to happen, or am I doing something wrong or stupid?

I'm running 2.0b11 player software.

Thanks,
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#83660 - 26/03/2002 17:32 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: Shonky]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you had done any other inserts before inserting the single song, the song gets inserted AFTER the inserts you did before.

They plan to add a fourth insertion mode to cover this situation.

#83661 - 26/03/2002 18:06 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: tfabris]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Thanks Tony, I was aware that insert would insert after a previous insert. I assume that once the next song comes on, this insert after a previous insertion mode will not happen. Correct?

Now that I have it on my desk at work, I have been playing with it some more and it seems to be doing the right thing. I don't know what was going on in the car. Perhaps I was suffering brainfade after fighting my way through 45 minutes of traffic this morning.

For the moment I'll put it down to brain fade and I'll see if it happens again.

Thanks

#83662 - 27/03/2002 03:20 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: Shonky]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I assume that once the next song comes on, this insert after a previous insertion mode will not happen. Correct?

No, it remembers the "insertedness" of songs until end-of-playlist.

Peter

#83663 - 27/03/2002 03:48 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: peter]
Shonky
pooh-bah

OK, let me get this clear.

Say I have this play list

aaa
bbb
ccc
ddd

I'm playing aaa currently. I insert eee and then fff separately I will get

aaa
eee
fff
bbb
ccc
ddd

Correct?

Player then moves to eee. I insert another song ggg.

I will have

aaa
eee
fff
ggg
bbb
ccc
ddd

and NOT

aaa
eee
ggg
fff
bbb
ccc
ddd

If so, then that would be why I got confused. I was assuming the second case. So if I have inserted a playlist, then there is no way of inserting anything else to play before that playlist?

Tony, maybe not a FAQ entry, but how about a AQ (i.e. not frequently) Has this been asked before?

Thanks

#83664 - 27/03/2002 03:51 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: Shonky]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
As Tony said above, we're adding another insertion mode to accommodate this.

Rob

#83665 - 27/03/2002 04:12 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: rob]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Cool thanks, I wasn't quite sure exactly what Tony meant originally. Now everything's clear and I wasn't suffering brainfade this morning then

And I assume this "insertedness mode" will even last over a power down too right? (jeez I ask too many questions don't I?)

#83666 - 27/03/2002 04:38 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: Shonky]
peter
carpal tunnel

And I assume this "insertedness mode" will even last over a power down too right?

Yes.

Peter

#83667 - 27/03/2002 04:39 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: Shonky]
peter
carpal tunnel

Player then moves to eee. I insert another song ggg.

I will have

aaa
eee
fff
ggg
bbb
ccc
ddd

Yup.

Peter

#83668 - 27/03/2002 09:38 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: peter]
dcosta
enthusiast

Loc: Massachussetts
Might I direct you all to this post

#83669 - 27/03/2002 09:48 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: rob]
warsaw
stranger

Loc: Colorado
Well, while you are adding insertion modes. . .

The one I would really like to see is Shuffle, which would shuffle the selected track or playlist into the remaining mix without reshuffling the songs that have already been played.

I usually listen to some mix of CD’s or artists and when I want to add something new to the mix, all I can do is reshuffle the entire list. This not only reshuffles songs I already heard, but also leaves me in a different place in the list which I assume means songs that I have not heard yet are shuffled behind the current location in the playlist. Also, I’m often DJ’ing for friends and would like to be able to shuffle requests.

This is about the only thing lacking in the player’s software that prevents me from using it the way I want to use it. It seems to me that this would be an obvious choice for an insertion mode. Is this being considered at all?

By the way, thanks for all of the considerable effort that goes into this player.

#83670 - 27/03/2002 10:08 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: warsaw]
peter
carpal tunnel

This not only reshuffles songs I already heard, but also leaves me in a different place in the list which I assume means songs that I have not heard yet are shuffled behind the current location in the playlist.

No. Doing that shuffles the songs you've already heard among themselves, and separately shuffles the ones you haven't already heard among themselves. You don't "lose" any unheard songs or "reanimate" any heard ones by unshuffling and reshuffling.

Peter

#83671 - 27/03/2002 10:19 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: dcosta]
warsaw
stranger

Thanks dcosta, I see this has already been discussed. Your list is certainly thorough. Personally, I think the suggestion in this post by hybrid8 would be perfect. Perhaps some of the others on your list could be covered by different behavior depending on which shuffle mode, if any, you are in. I am pretty much permanently in shuffle mode unless I'm listening to a book or a concept album.

So, my question is: Is this being worked on?

#83672 - 27/03/2002 11:01 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: peter]
warsaw
stranger

Well, whaddya know, I think you're right. I had to go down to my car to try it. I'd been reshuffling by turning the shuffle off and then back on. This does lose track of which songs have already been played. Until now, I never thought of just re-setting the shuffle mode to the same mode. It looks like this does what I want (At least the counter stays in the same place - I didn't actually check to see that the prior songs were the ones I’d heard.)

It would still be nice to have Shuffle as one of the insert modes, but if you are right then I'm completely content. Thanks!

#83673 - 27/03/2002 11:22 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: Shonky]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Tony, maybe not a FAQ entry, but how about a AQ (i.e. not frequently) Has this been asked before?

Okay, first of all, it's already in the FAQ:

"Insert: (Version 2.0 and later only.) Inserts your search result into the currently-playing list of songs, immediately after the current song. If you search multiple times, it will insert the results after each search result. Sort of like queing up songs on a jukebox."

Second, when the software is released that's got the new insert mode, I will properly document this fact in the FAQ.

#83674 - 27/03/2002 11:28 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: warsaw]
peter
carpal tunnel

I'd been reshuffling by turning the shuffle off and then back on. This does lose track of which songs have already been played.

Sounds like a bug to me.

Peter

#83675 - 27/03/2002 13:22 Re: Insert and Shuffle/Unshuffle [Re: peter]
warsaw
stranger

After playing with it for a while, it seems that reshuffling by turning shuffle on and off may be the same as just resetting shuffle mode to random. The counter for the current song will jump around both forward and back (not always though, I think only after you let a track play through). However, it appears that songs before the current song are always ones that have already been played.

Exactly what it’s doing is unclear from my limited sampling, but I would venture to guess that it’s shuffling the current song among those already played and moving the counter to that location. Ideally, in my opinion, the counter wouldn’t change on a reshuffle – songs before the current song would stay before it and songs after it would stay after it.