Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#98899 - 12/06/2002 08:25 Message Boards
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Wow, you guys are gonna hate me for this question

So I've experienced a PERL based message board, a UBB board, and now my PhpBB board. I really liked all of them they worked well.

Now I have a problem. I have two sites that I run for school organizations. We seriously do not have these options. I have no database, VERY little permission changing ability, etc. This severly limits my options.

What my fraternity had before (I'm in a music frat ) was an extremely small "bulletin board". No member logins, no forums, no categories, no emoticons, not even any dates! Just a list of about 15 posts with the author's name next to it. There were two pages. One with those posts on it and the post composition page. All that had was a name field and a message box to write the post, a submit and clear button. Them posting would add your post to the top of the posts page, then the last post on the page I believe was entered into a log file. That's it.

Is there something I can find out there that will mimic this? I looked on Sourceforge, but they're all full boards for mysql databases and such, options that we don't have. I believe the bulletin board we had was written in Perl, but that's just what I was told. I would simply use that script, but I can't even tell which files are essential to get it to run (I took over the webmaster position, and the previous person didn't have any organizational skills - I think I found 3 old sites still sitting around in there!).

So can anyone help me?

#98900 - 12/06/2002 08:31 Re: Message Boards [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Search for guestbooks instead, most products that call themselves that would fit you needs here. Most probably run from a basic text file accessable somewhere to the script. Works well as a real basic message poster, and the good ones will probably have an auto archiver of some type.