Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#291303 - 09/12/2006 22:22 ML dock professional spray painting group buy
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Who would be interested in having their Mark Lord dock professionally spray painted? I may have the chance VERY SOON to do a "group buy" for this service. Time is short so please reply soon to indicate your interest.

For some home renovations, I had cabinets made and spray painted. They look smooth as silk and I'm very happy with the quality. So happy that I contacted the cabinetmakers directly (instead of using the kitchen/bath store) to paint some wainscoting for the walls.

Maybe they could also do our ML docks? I may be driving out there no later than Tuesday to deliver my wainscoting; I could ask about the docks then. Everyone interested could mail me their docks. When I pick up the wainscoting on or around 12/22/06, I could give them our docks for painting. When finished, they could be shipped back (if they do that; may require pickup).

I will find out the price, color/finish options, and if they're even interested.

Some questions:
What color and finish would you like? To keep it reasonable, I think we'd all have to use the same. For color, I'm assuming black. Finishes include low gloss lacquer and high gloss lacquer, and there may be more.

What else should I ask the cabinetmakers?

For those who've painted their docks (and the one who professionally did it), how did you protect the internals and rear connectors from being painted?

For Mark, are there any concerns or handling precautions they should be aware of before sanding and preparing the material for paint? The wood is MDF, right?

I think this would be a great chance to finish all those naked unpainted docks out there!!

#291304 - 10/12/2006 00:43 Re: ML dock professional spray painting group buy [Re: FireFox31]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:

For those who've painted their docks (and the one who professionally did it), how did you protect the internals and rear connectors from being painted?

For Mark, are there any concerns or handling precautions they should be aware of before sanding and preparing the material for paint? The wood is MDF, right?

I think this would be a great chance to finish all those naked unpainted docks out there!!

I painted one for Paul a while back. It was masked with blue painter's tape and wax paper. The seams were bondoed. It was also rubbed out after curing, which you might ask about if they really are using lacquer, as this step leaves the lacquer smoother and shinier. I never could quite control the spray environment well enough (no spray booth) to get a flawless finish, but I still think Paul's dock turned out fairly nice.

Hope this helps,
Stu

#291305 - 10/12/2006 08:33 Re: ML dock professional spray painting group buy [Re: FireFox31]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:

For my dock, my friend stuffed the inside with newspaper and masked off the back with masking tape. Although it wasn't done on mine it would be a nice touch if the formica skids inside were also masked off, and the newspaper pushed further back just to cover the connectors inside and not the whole cavity.

I will ask my friend whether he is interested in spraying any more. He is quite busy, and took a couple of weeks to get around to mine, but that was a freebie. Watch this space!

#291306 - 10/12/2006 12:41 Re: ML dock professional spray painting group buy [Re: sein]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Quote:
not the whole cavity.

That's what I was thinking. A black dock would look silly with the empeg out, showing a MDF inside. But if 4/5th of the inside depth was painted, there'd still be a blotch of pale MDF color in there.

Thanks for reminding us of the link to your thread. Seeing that back in May was my inspiration.

To make this as easy as possible for the painters (who may not do it unless it's easy), I may have to mask off the connectors for them. I guess painter's tape on the back, news paper on the inside only as deep as the holes, and tape on the runner strips. Have to cut off any feet glued to any of them (including mine), thus would need replacements.

Sound about right?

#291307 - 10/12/2006 12:41 Re: ML dock professional spray painting group buy [Re: maczrool]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
It did!!!

#291308 - 16/12/2006 17:57 Re: ML dock professional spray painting group buy [Re: FireFox31]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

I chickened out on giving my dock to the cabinet company when I met their delivery truck the other day. Seems they're going far enough beyond protocol by dealing with me on the paneling, I didn't want to push my luck.

If other people are still interested and I can assemble a group buy, I will bring that to the company as a new project. Heck, I still want my dock professionally painted, so maybe some of you do also. Or maybe after the holidays.