Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#304237 - 21/11/2007 19:23 Minor Vista annoyance... or maybe NOT so minor
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
One thing that annoys me in Vista is that Windows Explorer always opens to the same default window size that is too small to be useful. So every time I open it, before I can do anything useful, I have to drag out the window dimensions both horizontally and vertically.

A Google search for [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Vista+"windows+explorer"+doesn%27t+remember+window+size&btnG=Google+Search]Vista "windows explorer" doesn't remember window size[/url] gave up nearly 90,000 hits, and a random sampling of the first dozen or so seems to indicate that there is no solution There are a lot of people unhappy about this, including myself. And no, the "Tools>Folder Options>View>Apply to All..." thing doesn't fix the problem.

One suggestion was that holding the Ctrl key while closing the window would cause Vista to remember the settings. Haven't had a chance to try it (my work computer is XP) but others have said it doesn't work, or it works intermittantly. I was looking for a one-time fix (Registry edit? Parameter setting somewhere?) that would just take care of it.

So, does anyone here know of a solution?

tanstaafl.

#304238 - 21/11/2007 20:00 Re: Minor Vista annoyance... or maybe NOT so minor [Re: tanstaafl.]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
One thing that annoys me in Vista is that Windows Explorer always opens to the same default window size that is too small to be useful.

It works fine on my Vista installation: If I open Windows Explorer with Win+E, it comes up at the same size as when I closed it.

If you're feeling brave, you can try the following, which involves modifying the registry:

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell, there are two keys: "BagMRU" and "Bags". Try deleting these to see if the problem fixes itself. You may need to log off and log back on to get this to persist.

I just did this myself and it caused any opened Windows Explorer windows (e.g. from Start/Run, and entering a specific path) to come up in the default position.

#304239 - 21/11/2007 20:02 Re: Minor Vista annoyance... or maybe NOT so minor [Re: Roger]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It works fine on my Vista installation: If I open Windows Explorer with Win+E, it comes up at the same size as when I closed it.

Ditto

#304240 - 21/11/2007 21:29 Re: Minor Vista annoyance... or maybe NOT so minor [Re: Roger]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
If I open Windows Explorer with Win+E, it comes up at the same size as when I closed it.

Well, that's just fine for you high-tech computer geeks with the very latest, most expensive and best equipment. But my 13 year old keyboard doesn't have one of those fancy-schmancy "Win" keys!

Believe it or not, I am still using my old Gateway AnyKey keyboard from 1994, and would put up with badly-sized default windows before I'd give up my keyboard macros!

I'm hoping the Ctrl-close trick will work for me. I'll let you know later tonight.

tanstaafl.

#304241 - 22/11/2007 17:12 Re: Minor Vista annoyance... or maybe NOT so minor [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Once upon a time, I had a .REG file which would write the size and position entries into the registry for the position of Internet Explorer. I don't have it anymore, but I do recall that it was the BAGMRU thing mentioned earlier in this thread.

If you googled for documentation on those registry entries (as opposed to the search you already did), then you can set it to whatever size and position you want.

If you put the .REG file into your startup group (well, a batch file that calls it with regedit /s anyway) then you can be assured it'll be that way every time you log in.

#304242 - 22/11/2007 21:42 Re: Minor Vista annoyance... or maybe NOT so minor [Re: tanstaafl.]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I'm plagued by this problem in Windows XP. Win2k and Win 95 never had a problem; how could they break this (and a thousand other things) in XP and higher??

I've had luck retaining the size by opening Explorer, sizing it, then closing it by clicking the File menu then Close. Open Explorer immediately again and it may retain the size. Close again using File > Close.

But will it retain that setting after reboot? If you close Explorer with the X button or Alt-F4 then, soon after, reboot, it seems to forget your size change. You may have better luck by deliberately closing using the File menu, then reopening to be sure it understood you.

Once you've done the above and the sizing has survived a reboot, the sizing will likely stay that way. All this also applies to View preferences (List, Details, Icons, etc), which often revert to the default that you've set for all folders. I intentionally set List for all, then Icons for Control Panel, but it reverts to List until I do the above.

I'm an IT professional, I should not have to resort to the superstition I've written above, but the disgracefully broken UI in Windows XP (most likely carried over to Vista) has demanded it. Good luck.

#304243 - 24/11/2007 06:28 Re: Minor Vista annoyance... or maybe NOT so minor [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm hoping the Ctrl-close trick will work for me. I'll let you know later tonight.

Closing the window that way (holding down "Ctrl" while clicking the red "X") seems to preserve window size for the next time I start Windows Explorer. I don't know if it will survive a reboot.

Time will tell. I'll keep you informed.

tanstaafl.

#304244 - 24/11/2007 06:48 Re: Minor Vista annoyance... or maybe NOT so minor [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Once upon a time, I had a .REG file which would write the size and position entries into the registry for the position of Internet Explorer. I don't have it anymore, but I do recall that it was the BAGMRU thing mentioned earlier in this thread.

Was it something like this:

Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
(right-click on BagMRU and choose delete)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
(right-click on Bags and choose delete)

NOTE: The keys you deleted will be re-created next time you log in to Vista so don't worry.

Now log out/reboot and you should be able to save the window positions. You will encounter this problem again, I don't know what triggers the folder settings to be deleted but here's what I did to make it easier the next time it happens.

1. Go to Run and type: gpedit.msc and hit enter.

2. Locate "Script (start/shutdown)" under computer configuration and double click on shutdown to the right.

3. Click on the "Show/view files" button and keep the new window open.

4. Open up notepad and paste this in there:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

Save the file as .reg and place it in the folder/window you opened on step 3.

5. Go back to the properties window for shutdown script and click add.

6. In the "Script name" field type: regedit.exe
In the "Script parameters" type: /S C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Shutdown\######.reg

###### is where you put the name of the .reg file you created on step 4.

7. Now go to "User configuration" > "Script (Log in/Log out)" and do the exact same thing with the Log out option to the right.

This will make sure that the "BagMRU" and "Bags" keys are deleted every time you shut down or reboot and you will be able to keep the window positions longer. This isn't a permanent fix (at least not for me) but when it happens you just log out and back in and that's it.

Hmmm... looks complicated. Your idea of just putting this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

in a batch file to run at startup seems a bit simpler. I'll work on that.

tanstaafl.