Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#330452 - 24/02/2010 16:54 FriendFeed/Facebook/Buzz/Twitter
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Prior to Google Buzz, I had a simple system. I had FriendFeed at the center of the universe, pushing and pulling my stuff from Google Reader, Facebook, and Twitter. If I wanted to do a status update that was short, I might do it on Twitter and it would replicate everywhere. If I wanted to do a longer status update, I'd do it directly on FriendFeed, and it would be shortened with a link on Twitter and replicated to Facebook in full.

Then Buzz came along.

I tried subscribing FriendFeed to the RSS/Atom feed from Buzz, and it gets a stupid subject line ("Buzz from Dan Wallach on Google Buzz") rather than what actually happened in Buzz. Similarly, the posts that Buzz imports from FriendFeed are wrapped with a bunch of annoying HTML trimmings around the edges, so users end up seeing my "DapperDan" avatar twice. Uggh. Consequently, I have no good way of getting status updates out of Buzz nor is there a good way to get them back in again.

The temporary lame solution is to have Google Buzz pull from Twitter. This means I can still use FriendFeed or Twitter as the center of the world, and so long as I keep it under 140 characters, the same thing shows up everywhere. The problem with the lame solution is that anything I share via Google Reader is shortened via FriendFeed into Twitter and that shortened version shows back up in Buzz. Double post.

*sigh*

If anybody has a better way of dealing with this, I'm all ears.

#330455 - 24/02/2010 17:42 Re: FriendFeed/Facebook/Buzz/Twitter [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I have a suggestion, but you probably don't want to hear it.

#330456 - 24/02/2010 17:45 Re: FriendFeed/Facebook/Buzz/Twitter [Re: DWallach]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I haven't bothered with any attempts at integration, usually because it annoys me when others propagate their stuff everywhere. I instead have very specific use cases for Twitter, different ones for Facebook, and other uses for Gowalla. That way, if someone is following me on all three, they don't see me say the same thing three times over.

For the few people I follow that do duplicate their posts all over the place, I tend to unfollow them on all but one service, just to de clutter things on my side.

#330458 - 24/02/2010 19:39 Re: FriendFeed/Facebook/Buzz/Twitter [Re: drakino]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

The most important integration is that things I hit on Google Reader find their way to Facebook. Maybe you're right that I should even bother trying to synchronize status updates.

Bitt: I hear where you're coming from, and it's not like I'm terribly prolific when I post things. (Maybe one update a week.) But there's no recognizable community difference between any of the services such that I might categorize something I want to say and know where I want to say it.

#330461 - 24/02/2010 19:58 Re: FriendFeed/Facebook/Buzz/Twitter [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I think you underestimate my suggestion.

#330464 - 24/02/2010 20:53 Re: FriendFeed/Facebook/Buzz/Twitter [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I have a great suggestion, maybe two, but I think it (or both) may significantly overlap with Bitt's.