I've just moved a DRAC card from one Poweredge 1950 to another. The donor machine ran Windows Server 2003 and the 'new' box has a fresh installation of Ubuntu desktop on it.

The problem I have is that the colours and brightness of the x display are completely washed out. The console seems to be okay, but once xorg fires up that's when things go wrong and no amount of tweaking the DRAC's video controls can make look right. The broadcast engineer in me says it looks like the video signal isn't properly terminated, but there doesn't appear to be anything to adjust hardware-wise. It's just a couple of ribbon cables and the rest is done in software it seems.

The other issue is that while I tried the DRAC card out on the donor machine when we first got it several years ago, I've not really bothered to use it since and didn't have the opportunity to check it before I pulled the card. So it's possible there's something broken on it.

A bit of Googling turned up someone else who had exactly the same problem, but he/she never got a reply and I couldn't find an email to ask if they ever rectified the problem.

Andy M