Dignan will NOT be satisfid with iDVD. Not even with iDVD3. It is such an simplistic program that it becomes a pain to use unless you want to drop in the most simple of files onto your DVD. you are absolutely restricted to using their templates and modifying even some things you would consider simple are often just not possible given the constraints of the program and/or templates.

There is a difference bwteen something designed to put together a movie and something to put movies onto a DVD. iDVD and most of the others listed are simple template-driven authoring packages for setting up your menus and putting content in palce. They are not designed to create the mass of that content. You'll want a good video editing application for that. Don't even say iMovie. If you were to say Final Cut Pro, then I'll agree. And Apple also has their high-end DVD authoring package which goes a thousand steps beyond iDVD.

But there are programs for Windows that are just as capable. On the template-based front I only have first-hand experience with iDVD. Blech. I have to finish burning a DVD of images and video I shot in San Fran last month. The biggest pan was that adding an MP3 seemed to suck up 12 minutes of the DVD recording space (when the disc is listed at 90 minutes using the unspecified settings that iDVD chose for me). I can't get more than one MP3 (which is really only 3 minutes of playing) onto that disc. Bummer.

Bruno