How about we worry about teaching the English language or basic math
That I will agree on. I saw a poll recently where 11% of Americans couldn't point out America on a globe. Regardless of who the poll was offered to, that is unacceptable.

By the way, I am still undecided as to my religion. I have been loosely raised as a Methodist in a very liberal church and environment. However, I never once, since I first took a couple Sunday school classes, ever believed in creationism. Even as a little kid, I wanted to know where the 3rd generation of people came from. The teacher wouldn't tell me, so I was forever a skeptic. My main problem has always been with taking the bible as literal fact.

My favorite story relating to this is from a biology teacher I once had. He had a devout Christian come up to him after his class on evolution, complaining about his beliefs in it. Instead of going off on all the scientific reasons for his belief, he posed a challenge for her own beliefs. First, he asked if she know how long a cubit was. She didn't know. He explained a cubit was about the length of a forearm. Then he pointed out that the ark, as described in the bible, is about 40 cubits long.

His point was this: if there were the exact same number of species on the earth then as there are today, as dictated by the absence of evolution, it is physically impossible to fit that many animals on the ship. You couldn't even fit all the beetles in the world on it.

Whatever you get out of this argument, my point is that the girl left the discussion at least thinking about it. I think that a major problem of today is that so many people have opinions and beliefs that are based on nothing but what they have been told to believe. Too many people don't really sit down and think about what they believe.

Sorry, I think I'm rambling. I'm a bit stressed this week