It's the size of the pipe that is the important bit. The cross sectional area is equivalent to the resistance.
Your faucet is actually restricting the flow. And by turning the knob you're affecting that flow by widening or closing that restriction.

Say I want to fill a bucket. I can fill it with a big pipe that gives me 1 litre a second (current) but at 1 psi (voltage). Or I can fill it was a small pipe that also gives me 1 litre a second (current) but it comes out at 10 psi (voltage).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I can get the same amount of water out of something with a big pipe but low pressure or a smaller pipe but higher pressure. The amount I get out the end is exactly the same but how fast it comes out is related to how big the pipe is.

Vast quantities of water going past is okay I just let it go past. But I can't cope with huge pressures.

If you've ever seen them use a firehose you'll notice that it comes out a high pressure but once it's on the ground then it drains away slowly and it's spread out in a stream. The amount of water is the same. It's just how fast it's going past is different.

It's like 6am so if this is incoherent then I apologise