Quote:
Heh, I've still got my Marriott status, shame my membership to the Marriott club gives me no perks whatsoever.

I think I was Marriott "silver" when I booked that room for $100 for 4-5 nights. When I showed up and they put me on the 39th floor with free lounge, breakfast, evening munchie buffet/drinks, that was unexpected.

Something I will do again? I took their long-ish "How was your stay? questionnaire with me and mailed it back saying how well I had been treated (and I had been). A month later I received a very nice (it looked to be a one-off, hand-typed) letter from the hotel manager offering his thanks for the survey comments. I still have that letter, and if I do have a chance to go back, I will send him another in advance -- "well, shucks I am no longer silver, but I would *love* to stay on 39 again!' and see what happens.

I never thought that much of those questionnaires and comments until a colleague sent a hand-penned series of compliments to the manager of the Renn in Sao Paulo. At the next staff meeting, staff he mentioned were called upon to take bows as the letter was read aloud. This gent was treated well prior to that letter, but from that moment on he was *really* treated well.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.