Quote:
Battery life reporting. On an Apple machine, the battery goes from 100 to 0%, then the machine goes to sleep. Sleep will probably last 12 hours at most, with that time shortened with more memory. If it falls asleep, simply pull the battery and put the new one in. PC, starts panicking at 20% and will never hit 0% and properly sleep. I remember my old Armada, and the constant tweaks I had to do in the power settings to get it to hibernate in time before the battery dropped completly dead. Off by a bit, and work loss occured. I also did not dare to put it to sleep, and the idea of it recovering from sleep in a matter of seconds like the Powerbook is a joke.

My Dell laptop behaves pretty much the same as the Apple in that respect then. Also, when the battery gets really low it will hibernate to disk before turning off completely. I have never lost any data despite running the battery right down many, many times. Not all PC laptops are created equal...

Also WinXP makes a big difference with regard to quick return from sleep and power management. Anyone using Win2k or a laptop instead of WinXP is missing out.