One reason I resist ergonomic keyboards and mice is because: Inputs for every computer I touch should be consistent, so variations don't hinder my work. The one ergo keyboard in use at work makes my job so much harder - keys aren't in the right place, keys are odd sizes, etc.

Matt, if you hold the mouse so far back in your palm, how much does your wrist and arm have to work to move it around? Seems like more effort... but less effort to hold your hand in place.

Yes, I've given optical mice to every other computer I support because cleaning them is nasty. One reason I keep a ball mouse is: With the proper quick move-lift-tilt action, the roller spins freely, flinging the cursor across the screen with velocity. Great way to get across 1920 pixel wide screen with little effort.

msaeger: Trackballs are clever beasts. I have an early MS Intellimouse Trackball. Takes some tricks to get precise positioning with the ball. ie: perfectly straight up/down scrolling by wedging my middle finger against the side of the ball to prevent left/right movement, while wheeling up/down with my pointer.

Tony: Makes sense. Maybe they should put the optical/laser sensor far at the top of the mouse. Further from wrist = more pointer distance with less wrist movement. Interesting.