OK, now I've done the 160Gb and here is how...

When the instructions say to leave the empeg off I've ignored them and left it turned on in a state of kernel panic.

When the builder says it's looking for the empeg I have very rapidly switched the power to the empeg on and off.
This seemingly doesn't give the drive enough time to spin down and allows the disk builder to see it.

If I repeat the process following the builder instructions and leave the emepg turned off before detection, the pump fails everytime.

I can only assume this is because the system didn't have enough time to find the disk.

mlord; could Hijack possibly hold up the kernel from detecting the hard drive for a configurable period? Or would that have to be done elsewhere, ie: a custom build of the main kernel?

So, now I have a built drive. I cannot fail to get the system to see it. Maybe now it's warmed up the system is able to detect it better?!?!
I know I've had problems detecting a disk in the past which has been out in the car all night in winter.

No have the player software installed. Will leave it off till tomorrow and see if it has trouble detecting the disk then after a long cool down.