Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I get a sense like there's too much padding in the UK version whereas the US remake uses that extra time to provide more content - that works well.

Could part of that be due to the slower pace of a full hour-long show instead of one that's ~44 minutes?

I stopped watching the US version, so I can't say for sure (and you've also only seen two episodes of the UK version, so I wouldn't judge too quickly either), but you're saying that there's a lot of padding on a show whose entire run lasted 16 episodes? The US doesn't know how to end a show other than an abrupt cancellation (see Pushing Daisies) or a prolonged meandering story (see X-Files). I'd really be interested in seeing how closely the US version follows the story of the UK version. If so, there really isn't much to add there that the UK version didn't say better and with fewer episodes.

Most of all, I refuse to believe that anyone can match or surpass Philip Glenister in that role. I'm sorry, it is impossible to argue this with me - my personal opinion on it is unwavering. I was somewhat interested in seeing Colm Meaney in the role, but the studio ditched him for Harvey Keitel, and I haven't heard the reason for that.

The only thing I didn't like about the UK version was the actress who played Annie. I just didn't think she was very good.

ps- while I was thinking about this show again, I had to check when Ashes to Ashes was returning. I can't find anything! Do any of you Brits know? The first episode aired last year in the beginning of February, so I hope it's similar this year.

Edited by Dignan (23/01/2009 03:19)