Just saw Scott Pilgrim last night. Easily my favorite movie that I've seen in the last year or so, with Kickass and Zombieland coming very close seconds.

I seem to recall reading a review that complained about how Scott wasn't given any motivation for falling in love with Ramona. That turns out to be what I found best about the film: The motivation for his love for her was all in the acting and the direction, which was superb. Here's why I think it was so great:

Every character in the movie, even Scott himself, was, in a very subtle way, some sort of twisted caricature that seemed ever so slightly "off" of normal human behavior. Nothing you could put your finger on exactly, but you got the feeling that everyone was looking at life as if they were watching a TV show. No one was grounded in reality, everyone was slightly odd, everyone seemed just a little bit lost. But whenever Ramona was on screen, that's what struck you: her "real-ness" was so striking in contrast to everyone else. She felt solid and grounded. Even when she was indecisive, you felt like she knew what she was doing. Like you could follow her wherever she was going and end up in the right place, even if she didn't know where she was headed when she started the journey. This was obvious not just from her dialogue, but from her eyes and her expressions. Even when she wasn't saying anything, she *looked* focused and sure of herself. And each time she left Scott behind, you could feel that same desire to follow her.

In general, I thought the jokes and gags were hilarious, too many to list here. And the action scenes were appropriately over-the-top.