You do know that I wasn't trying to single out all UK keyboards in general. I'm talking about production for other countries in Europe as well and Apple products mostly. As you can see from the attached image, their UK keyboard isn't very much like the UK keyboards elsewhere and in fact doesn't contain so many changes from the US keyboard that they couldn't use it as a base for that country.

Besides, you can't call a rectangle janky. It's next to as simple a shape as you can make. Clean.

I normally wouldn't recommend US-anything, but the standard Mac keyboard is quite clean in line. No key spans more than a single row. Like-modifiers are the same size on the left as they are on the right. The physical number of keycaps is suitable to be relabeled for multiple locales.

I do notice that Apple are using the same key layout as found on the UK keyboard for most European countries. I thought there was even more key variation here (not keycap labeling, but physical key placement). I hope I'm not offending anyone by considering the UK as part of Europe.