Makes sense!

When your code uses the tuner internal serial port, it'll be accessing to the RX/TX lines internally on the empeg, correct? So you don't need those RX/TX pins to be connected externally on the tuner connector out the back of the sled, correct? So you could do like I did and disconnect those pins from the wiring header that connects them to the sled harness inside the empeg and then those can be used for running some of the I2S pins out the back of the tuner connector, like I did. Right?

If we use the same pinouts on the tuner connector, then both of our designs will be compatible. Would that work for you?

Here's the pinouts I'm using on the 8-pin molex tuner connector. Let me know if these work for you. Note that the colors listed are the externally visible wire colors on the tuner connector outside the player. The colors are different on the internal wiring header that connects to the motherboard.

1 - Pink - originally "tuner level", now disconnected from internal wiring header inside the empeg and soldered to a jumper wire which is solodered to I2S pin "IISD1" inside the empeg. This is pin 4 of the IIS header on the empeg motherboard, the 4th pin from the "notch" on the silkscreen outline. On my external board, this is connected to the SDIN pin of the BlueGiga module.

2 - Grey - tuner signal - left unchanged - No connection on my external board

3 - Blue - Power Ant - left unchanged - No connection on my external board

4 - Black - Empeg Ground - Connected to the ground on my external board, which is connected to several ground pins in various places on the BlueGiga board and the Arduino board. In particular it's connected to the GND pins on the I2S header on the BlueGiga board.

5 - Brown - originally TX, now disconnected from internal wiring header inside the empeg and soldered to a jumper wire which is soldered to I2S pin "IISW" inside the empeg. This is pin 2 of the IIS header on the empeg motherboard, the 2nd pin from the "notch" on the silkscreen outline. On my external board, this is connected to the WS pin of the BlueGiga module.

6 - Red - originally RX, now disconnected from internal wiring header inside the empeg and soldered to a jumper wire which is soldered to I2S pin "IISC" inside the empeg. This is pin 1 of the IIS header on the empeg motherboard, the pin next to the "notch" on the silkscreen outline. On my external board, this is connected to the SCK pin of the BlueGiga module.

7 - Purple - unused - left unchanged - no connection on my external board.

8 - Blue - 12v - Connected to my 12v input on my power supply regulator on my external board.

What do you think?