University for me to start with was lots of dumb terminals connected to a a couple of PRIMEOS minicomputers.

I played my first multiplayer online game via those dumb terminals, MIST https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lawrie at Essex University (it only ran in the early hours of the morning).

I also spent a lot of time on a popular JANET bbs, can't remember the name of that ? I'll bet someone hear remembers.

My first use of the Internet was via those dumb terminals. Connected to the Prime, then a terminal session over JANET to Imperial College, who had some sort of bailing twine and wax setup to give you gopher/ftp access to the Internet.

Then we did some CAD on Sun pizza boxes (I think we also used some graphical dumb terminals for CAD on the Prime), though it mainly gave me access to playing around with Unix for the first time.

Later came lots of Viglen 386sx PCs, which with the janky Imperial College link and a very convoluted chain of tools allowed us to actually download stuff from the Internet.

Those Viglen PCs where the first time I booted Linux, though if I remember corrected I had to track down one of the few 486 machines that were randomly sprinkled amongst the 386sx ones, as Linux needed a matches coprocessor to boot back then.