Primary school in the late 80's was BBC B's and Master series. Then, in my final year, we got a bunch of A3000's. Since I had one at home, I was tasked with the job of unboxing and setting them up. I then had to come back one evening to show all the teachers from nearby primary schools how to use them.

My secondary school started out with BBC Micros etc. plus a load of Archimedes and A3000's. But they ended up getting sidelined by PCs and Macs as the UK GCSE IT curriculum started to move away from programming skills, and more towards how to operate word processors and spreadsheets. The Acorns were retained as they were the only machines that had BASIC built in, which was still required for A-Level work. I don't think they wanted to pay for a development environment for the other machines.

For me, Uni was entirely PC based (NT4 mostly). The only people that got anywhere near *nix were some of the civil engineering lot, who needed access to a minicomputer that ran some simulation tools. But this was driven from a PC on a remote X windows session.

I wonder how much IT EUC provision universities have to offer nowadays? Surely all the students have laptops? I would've thought my cohort were among the last kids to get their first ever email address at university. I can certainly remember being quite amused at my old school friends suddenly 'discovering' email since I'd had once since I was 14!

Andy M