Yeah it appears there's no way to play anything other than 44.1 khz stereo. Sigh. So I have to figure out a way to do some conversion. I have zero experience in this. Anyone have any idea how one would "upsample" an 8000 or 11000 khz mono wave to 44.1 khz stereo? After about a half an hour of looking I couldn't find any way in the flite code to output at 44.1 or stereo. So I'd have to take its output and upsample it before it writes it... I just have no clue how this would be done. This is bound to be very inefficient. CRAP. I am so angry about this limitation, even though I know why it's there I wish there was like a second audio device that didn't have such stringent requirements.

The comments in empeg_audio3.c state "wishlist: sample rate adjustment with antialiasing filters." If this would allow us to write non-standard sample rate files to the audio device, then I hope this wish comes true. Hugo, are you listening? Or maybe there are some other smart people out there who could handle something like this, since the likelihood of this becoming an official feature is rather slim. Sigh.