Well here it is! This is the first working Aluminum Facia prototype. I still call it a prototype because I need to make several tweaks to the CNC code so that I don't have so much post clean-up work (a lot of elbow grease). I'm very happy with how it turned out. I'd like to see what they look like after several hours in a tumbler, it might save me a bunch of work with the polishing wheel. There are some spots where I just can't get the amount of definition as the original but the coolness factor of the aluminum makes me not care. I could get the fine detail by running another cutting pass using a 1/16" end mill but that would add another 5-6 hours to the cutting time (it already took a little over 9 hours). I'm not sure how many I will actually be able to produce as they are so time consuming. I may have to look into out-sourcing to a large machine shop but my guess is that would be a bit expensive.

My next task is to make the required changes to the CNC code and then cut the 3 pieces I promised to the guys at Empeg (sonicblue). I should get those done next week and then will begin taking orders. I should also be getting in a bunch of exotic hardwood any day now and I will make a few samples.

Enjoy!!

Attachments
46509-AliFacia1.jpg (152 downloads)