As far as reproductions of the stock fascia go, I agree with Steve. The best and easiest thing to do is just produce the necessary recess on the back to fit the stock lens.

Now for new fascia designs, I think we can go a bit further. Also include a recess for the stock lens (because that will give you your colour), but work something out to be able to insert a new clear or smoke lens in front. This would allow you to have a tougher acrylic lens that would hopefully be flush with the new fascia.

How would this be held in place? Clips are one possibility, but as mentioned, can break. The best bet would be strong adhesive. Something industrial, not Crazy Glue or wood glue. :) This would be similar to what you would find with most commercial head units from all the major manufacturers. My new Clarion deck actually has a pretty good looking aluminum fascia with flush acrylic lens.

Steve, I have a question for you. In the pics that you link to in your profile, you show what looks like a custom aluminum fascia for the Mk1. I'm assuming you made this yourself, right? As I've mentioned before, i really like the simple design. It looks like the lens is sitting flush with the aluminum. What kind of setup is that? I didn't see any descriptions on your site and I haven't had the chance to search the BBS to see if you've ever talked in detail about it. I've been playing with a few sketches for custom looks for the Mk2 and the simple designs seem to always look the best.

I'll more than likely be modifying my stock fascia at some point after I finish up all my installs. I don't have the equipment to make my own custom ones, so this is the only thing I can do until someone starts knocking off more in aluminum. :) I'm definitely going to fill in the spaces on the left side of the buttons and probably remove the arch that comes off the button surround. I'll probably also alter the curvature in the middle and to the left to make it more closely match the right side. All this while trying not to make a complete mess. :)

Bruno