Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#128824 - 02/12/2002 20:47 crock of crap
Whitey

Loc: Louisiana, USA
can any one explain how
A) this can happen
B) how they get away with advertising this

http://www.dvd-copy-wizard.com/tracker.cgi?jsell

#128825 - 02/12/2002 20:55 Re: crock of crap [Re: Whitey]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
They have a "disclaimer"...

"Legal Disclaimer:It is against the law to reproduce copyrighted material for the purpose of selling it to third parties. US Laws only allows for you to make one backup copy of any software or media for personal and archival purposes, which is the ONLY intended use for this software. This guide is not meant for those who intend on breaking copyright laws, in no way will we be held responsible if you do. Any other use of this software is strictly Prohibited !!!!"

Somehow I think it's going to hold up as well as Napster's "please don't use this network to pirate music" disclaimer did...

#128826 - 02/12/2002 21:32 Re: crock of crap [Re: tonyc]
Whitey

Loc: Louisiana, USA
but still...
how can you copy a mutilayered DVD to a single layered CDR?

#128827 - 02/12/2002 21:40 Re: crock of crap [Re: Whitey]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
using a sh*t load of compression is how.
[same as how you can fit a 640MB CD of music into a 64MB (or worse 32MB) flash memory card in mp3 portables].

You're right though, a CDR version of a dual layer DVD movie wouldn't be very watchable IMHO, probably have compression artifacts everywhere, single sound track (stereo maybe if you're lucky), and little else.I think I'd rather have the real movie on DVD thanks.

#128828 - 02/12/2002 23:16 Re: crock of crap [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Aren't they leaving out the part that says you have to own a copy of the original first? I think they have their laws mixed up. By their definition, the law says that everyone in the world is permitted one personal copy of anything without anyone having to pay for it.

Besides, check out the "Limited Time Bonuses". To me, it would seem that both those items would require a DVD burner, and the first one requirig a video capture card.

ps-I don't think it says anywhere on the site that they only mean you copy it to one disc. I think in most cases you would copy it across several, making it better quality but FAR more annoying.

#128829 - 03/12/2002 00:47 Re: crock of crap [Re: Whitey]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Copying DVD's isn't illegal unless it is copyrighted material that doesn't belong to you.

#128830 - 03/12/2002 16:41 Re: crock of crap [Re: number6]
andyb
new poster

Loc: Oxfordshire
To be playable on a computer the quality is surpirsingly good, if compressed properly, and the film isn't too long. But to be playable on dvd players, you normally have to make it a vcd, i believe, and then the quality gets much worse. (however you can now get dvd players that play divx cds).

Oh and you don't get any extras. People should just buy a dvd with the money they'll save by not buying this rubbish.

#128831 - 03/12/2002 18:07 Re: crock of crap [Re: andyb]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There's also svcd, xvcd, and xsvcd (or is it sxvcd?). But it's still largely a better deal to just buy the DVD, considering the amount of time that it takes to produce one of these things. Of course, that doesn't put off real pirates -- those who mass-produce copied stuff and sell it on street corners, who are the ones the studios should really be going after.

#128832 - 03/12/2002 20:26 Re: crock of crap [Re: andyb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Oh and you don't get any extras. People should just buy a dvd with the money they'll save by not buying this rubbish.

Absolutely. With this program, you still need a source DVD. Most people will likely rent a movie for about $3 ($4 on average if you count late fees) and the result of the archived film they get is horrible quality and no extras. The logic doesn't seem to work in favor of this program. Then again, I've learned to stop trusting in the public's logic.

I don't understand why anyone would go through this much hassle. $15 will buy you almost any DVD if you shop around, and then you get the nice packaging and all the extras. I just found Blade II on Pricegrabber for $15 new. That movie has a day's worth of material on it. Why not just fork it over?

#128833 - 04/12/2002 02:08 Re: crock of crap [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
It makes some people feel good if they've managed to scam something for "free", even if it is crap.

I don't understand it either -- I'd much rather pay for the original.