Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#213562 - 18/04/2004 13:33 transfering files via serial & LPT ports
Whitey

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Well, I have decided to sell my laptop to stave off a budget crisis, but I have a problem. The card slots were damaged, and so I can no longer use a PC network card. The floppy drive has been busted for a year now, which hasn't been a problem becasue I had a wireless network adapter. I would have sold the laptop sooner, but I need it still to complete school projects that had been started on it.

I'm finished with my projects and now I need to transfer files from my laptop to my desktop computer, but without the network card. I dont have money to go out and buy cables, but I have a clable that will go from the LPT port of my desktop to the serial port on my laptop. I have tried the new connection wizard in XP, but it tries to verify a user name and password (nither of which I have set up on my laptop) and the connection fails.

So what Im asking is: Is there a peice of software out there that will make this eaiser. I can put all the files I need and transfer them via the command line, but I dont know the commands. Actually really I'm saying "I dont know a damn thing, Can you help?"

#213563 - 18/04/2004 14:39 Re: transfering files via serial & LPT ports [Re: Whitey]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I'm not even sure that Windows can do this itself. It knows about serial-serial links and parellel-parellel, but I don't think it does serial-parellel.

Are you sure that is what the cable you have is intended for ?

#213564 - 18/04/2004 14:50 Re: transfering files via serial & LPT ports [Re: Whitey]
tman
carpal tunnel

It's unlikely that the cable you've got is the right one. If your cable is just a bit of wire with two plugs on the end and no electronics then it's definately not what you think it is. The serial port is -/+12V whilst the parallel port is 5V and would require some electronics somewhere in the middle to convert between the two.

You basically need to get a null modem cable to connect between the two machines or a laplink parallel cable.

#213565 - 18/04/2004 16:54 Re: transfering files via serial & LPT ports [Re: tman]
Whitey

damn....well thanks for the information. I just at this second remembered that my roommate has a 64meg USB drive.

All is well.....so anybody want a laptop?

#213566 - 18/04/2004 16:56 Re: transfering files via serial & LPT ports [Re: Whitey]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Easiest way (for me) to do this would be to remove the hard drive from the laptop and connect it directly to a larger PC using a 2.5"-->3.5" adaptor gizmo, and then just copy the whole disk (or only the needed files, your choice) at very high speed directly to the PC.

Cheers

#213567 - 18/04/2004 16:58 Re: transfering files via serial & LPT ports [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
a 2.5"-->3.5" adaptor gizmo
Is that the official IDE spec term for such a device?

#213568 - 18/04/2004 17:25 Re: transfering files via serial & LPT ports [Re: wfaulk]
Whitey

gizmo

Well it's something

#213569 - 18/04/2004 21:36 Re: transfering files via serial & LPT ports [Re: mlord]
Whitey

I have all my files transfered. The whole time I kept thinking " Man, transfering 64megs at a time is a real pain in the ass," until I thought about not transfering them at all. It took me all day, and half a chocolate bunny that my girlfriend gave me but the bunny was a gonner anyway. I, like most people, start with the ears but I was wondering if thiere were any ass people out there?

#213570 - 19/04/2004 10:56 Re: transfering files via serial & LPT ports [Re: Whitey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
"I'm a leg man myself... "