Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#276946 - 07/03/2006 20:14 If this was real I'd buy one now.....
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK

Andy M

#276947 - 07/03/2006 20:16 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: andym]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Me too, that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking/waiting for.
ricin.us

#276948 - 07/03/2006 20:17 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: ricin]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
vid, really short

Andy M

#276949 - 07/03/2006 20:21 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: ricin]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
As I understand it, you can play your own videos on a PSP, problem being the available storage isn't that great. Still, you can get 2GB memory sticks for it, which is more capacity than the UMD discs they sell prerecorded movies on.

#276950 - 07/03/2006 20:58 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
As I understand it, you can play your own videos on a PSP, problem being the available storage isn't that great. Still, you can get 2GB memory sticks for it, which is more capacity than the UMD discs they sell prerecorded movies on.

Bitt, I'm sorry, but that's a pretty ridiculous comparison. This rumored iPod is also what I've been waiting for, in that it's a slim device with a screen across the entire face. The PSP is nothing like this aside from the large screen. And the thought of carrying around enough memory sticks to store all the media I'd want is just silly.

As for the rumored device, it's had me very conflicted. I still loathe the idea of being tied into iTunes, I dislike the iPod UI, and I hate being forced to use a soup mode. Basically, if the iPod were a mass storage device, it would be my ideal MP3 player.

But for the most part, it has what I've been looking for. The screen takes up the entire face, the storage is rumored to be decent (anything over 30GB is fine with me), and the touchscreen is a bonus. I'm almost certain that the device linked isn't the real deal. Apple wouldn't be that careless. But I certainly think it'll be a lot like that, and I'm very excited for it.

#276951 - 07/03/2006 21:57 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: andym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Fake images of a full-surface screen ipod have been making the rounds for weeks. Gizmodo and Engadget both have what seems like dail coverage of them. The most interesting thing I've seen was a short video of the first guy doing the Photoshop edits to create the fake image.

I'd love to see the iPod go full-surface screen. But I'd also like to see either a compactflash of SD slot in it as well as the dock connector support USB-OTG (or straight-up USB host). And I'd like to see any such model introduced with an 80GB drive. Keeping my fingers crossed we start to see 150GB+ drives in that form-factor soon afterwards. if you want video you need a lot of storage. I'd like something fast enough to unload quickly from a camera card or directly connect a camera to. Plus I'd love to have my entire photo collection on there (a mirror would always be on an additional PC as well as backup device).

Bruno

#276952 - 07/03/2006 22:53 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Fake images of a full-surface screen ipod have been making the rounds for weeks. Gizmodo and Engadget both have what seems like dail coverage of them. The most interesting thing I've seen was a short video of the first guy doing the Photoshop edits to create the fake image.

Then, though I couldn't believe it was them, the horrible G4 program "Attack of the Show" showed that both the original image and the video recreating the image were their doing. For such a terrible show I was a little impressed that they got this out there.

As for storage, I'm pretty sure I saw a report that it would have 40 or 80GB. 40 is the minimum for a serious video device, IMO. The Archos AV340 I have at the moment has that much storage, and I wouldn't go any lower (that's one of the reasons I returned my 30GB AV500). If you want to store a large music collection and a good number of movies/TV shows, you need a ton of space. I wouldn't be suprised if they got some of the first perpendicular 1.8" drives for a product this big.

The downside to this device is that I assume it'll be physically larger than the current 5G iPod, though I don't know by how much.

I'm sure we'll find out next month. Does anyone know if Apple considers their anniversary to have a specific day of the month in April?

#276953 - 08/03/2006 00:06 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm sure we'll find out next month. Does anyone know if Apple considers their anniversary to have a specific day of the month in April?

April 1st. Jobs commented on it during the January keynote.

#276954 - 08/03/2006 10:04 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: drakino]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
If only it were true. I'm in the market for a MP3/OGG player right now (to alleviate the boredom on my enforced 2 hour commute). That would be awesome and I'd also buy one in a flash.

Now to find something else suitable and a little more real.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#276955 - 08/03/2006 11:22 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: drakino]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Quote:
Quote:

April 1st. Jobs commented on it during the January keynote.

Always a great day to introduce a new product.

#276956 - 08/03/2006 13:54 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, no one here said it was rumored. There was only a post with a link to an obviously faked image of a handheld video player. I just pointed out that there was a device out there now that has a great screen and can play videos.

#276957 - 08/03/2006 20:43 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: wfaulk]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
... obviously faked image of a handheld video player....

Ok, I'm curious. I can do some damage with Photoshop, and I don't see this. How is it "obviously fake"?

#276958 - 08/03/2006 21:06 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: webroach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, I suppose I don't have any real evidence, but Andy did say "if this were real", ISTR the web site saying that they were fake (though, in retrospect, I may have misread something), the brightness looks way off in the last picture, especially when compared to the reflection below it, and something seemed "off" about the middle one, which I've come to the conclusion is that the image seems to rest directly on the surface of the device, rather than a few millimeters inside it.

I could be wrong, though.

#276959 - 08/03/2006 22:58 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: wfaulk]
webroach
old hand

The only reason I ask is that it not only looks real to me, but is also the spitting image of what ThinkSecret hinted Apple was working on. I have yet to find them wrong.

#276960 - 09/03/2006 01:01 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: webroach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

You have yet to find Thinksecret wrong? They're wrong on most points most of the time. I've never seen them post concise rumors. They always jump all over the map and provide so many details that regardless of what happens they'll get some right. They're doing what most of the fake psychics do. Just look at the recent press event or Macworld in January. The rumor sites were all spitting out countless product releases only to hit a few points of one or two products.

While working at my previous employer, we had prototype systems before anyone else outside of Apple. Often 6 months or more before anyone else. I'd read Thinksecret and other rumor sites every now and then and see how far off reality they were. There's no doubt some of their information did come from the inside. But a lot (and I do mean a LOT) was just complete BS and entirely fabricated. So many times it was clear to see the only reason they got even a few facts correct was by pure luck. We didn't work on the Mini, but I knew it was coming - and with integrated Intel graphics. And also knew it wouldn't be at Macworld. Big deal.

It will be quite coincidental if Apple releases something that looks like those images. First because identical images have been generated by countless people for over a month - I really don't know who made the first mockup. And of course because I don't remember seeing any Apple product scooped with accurate images before its release in the past. Just look at the BS about the Apple "boombox" recently.

Bruno

#276961 - 09/03/2006 02:51 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: andym]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I can't imagine that thing would have more than 45 minutes of battery life playing movies off a hard drive. You can throw some more RAM in it for caching, and you can scale videos to the rez of the screen, but it's still not going to last too long.

Matthew

#276962 - 09/03/2006 15:17 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: matthew_k]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I can't imagine that thing would have more than 45 minutes of battery life playing movies off a hard drive.

???

The 5G iPod plays movies off a hard drive...

#276963 - 09/03/2006 15:43 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: Dignan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Quote:
The 5G iPod plays movies off a hard drive...

Reviews seem to indicate that it gets 2 hours of life playing video. And it's got a screen half the size. Double the screen size won't use twice the power, but its bound to use quite a bit.

Matthew

#276964 - 09/03/2006 16:06 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: matthew_k]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Reviews seem to indicate that it gets 2 hours of life playing video.

Really? Wow, I hadn't seen that. My appologies. I was under the impression it was much better than that. That makes me even more skeptical about seeing a thin PMP from Apple.

#276965 - 09/03/2006 16:24 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: Dignan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Apple seems to claim 2 to 3. It'll only get worse if they let you play movies that aren't specifically encoded for the iPod's tiny screen.

Matthew

#276966 - 10/03/2006 00:27 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: matthew_k]
webroach
old hand

The iPod only allows video files with fairly specific formatting to be played. I generally get about three hours of video on mine with a full charge. But I don't really have it for videos. I have it as a portable MP3 player that just happens to allow videos.

#276967 - 10/03/2006 03:03 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: webroach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I have it as a portable MP3 player that just happens to allow videos.

I guess that makes sense. They keep emphasizing that video is a second thought. Maybe the design of the video iPod will address some of these problems.

#276968 - 12/03/2006 18:53 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: hybrid8]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
at my previous employer, we had prototype systems before anyone else outside of Apple.

So if you happened to know *just* the right time to buy Apple stock, would that be considered insider trading? Oh wait, previous employer. Darn.

#276969 - 12/03/2006 22:20 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: FireFox31]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

In a strict sense, I suppose it could be considered insider trading if I were to have traded Apple stock. However the information I was aware of was not significant enough to give me a large advantage, or any at all for that matter. Unless there was a big event like Macworld, I didn't know when a product would be announced. And even though I knew how much money my employer would be getting for some of the contracts, trading our own stock was also a huge gamble. In simple terms, the product knowledge gave no advantage in trading the stock of either company - unfortunately.

Bruno

#276970 - 05/04/2006 10:22 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: andym]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Hmmm wasn't there supposed to be a press conference from Apple on the 4th? I've not read anything

#276971 - 05/04/2006 10:26 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
April 1st actually I think it is traditionally for Apple. I haven't seen anything. I'm ready to buy today too. Still looking at the Toshiba Gigabeats and the new unreleased S60 is looking pretty nice as an iPod video competitor. Not as good as what is here though (if it exists)
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#276972 - 05/04/2006 12:03 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: Shonky]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I hope this wasn't it

#276973 - 05/04/2006 12:18 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Apple have been working on Boot Camp for a few months now, but as I mentioned in another thread, I'm surprised they didn't introduce one or two products - like a new iBook. I believe BC was supposed to be released on Monday and I think I know why it wasn't. I'm just glad they managed to do it today and not next month.

I don't believe anything official was ever mentioned about a press conference though. At least I didn't notice. April 1st being a Saturday was almost surely out, even though it was Apple's 30th anniversary.

Bruno

#276974 - 05/04/2006 14:31 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm pretty sure that Stevie said something about an announcement a while ago. I haven't tried to find a quote, but the guys at Engadget sounded suprised there wasn't an announcement either.

I didn't expect one on Saturday, but I thought there would be an invite sent out to journalists at least. Oh well, it's early in the month still. If there are no invites out by the 20th or something, then it will seem less likely that they'll have a press conference this month...

#276975 - 01/06/2006 17:57 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: hybrid8]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but here's something small and relatively low capacity (flash memory) that does (limited) MPEG4 video on what is essentially the whole front of the device. Even uses the screen edges for the interface controls, though I wonder about that.

Quote:

Blah blah blah

I'd love to see the iPod go full-surface screen.

Snip, snip snip

Bruno

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >