Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#296132 - 31/03/2007 11:52 Video Editing Recommendations?
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
I have a bunch of family vids on DVD (I moved them from my camera to the DVD's with the sucky supplied DVD interface on the (dare I say it?) Sony camera).

I would like to edit them, cut out the crap, and maybe splice some together, and then burn them to a new DVD to share with family.

Any suggestions for an easy to use prgrram that would allow me to do this?
(No copyrighted material was harmed in the writing of this post...)
Thank you

#296133 - 31/03/2007 12:35 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: Ladmo]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
My Dad uses Pinnacle Studio to pretty good effect, but you would have to check out the DVD output options it offers as he doesn't use that part of it. It's one of the best all round options I have seen.

I use Final Cut Express, a great option if you have a Mac. I also find iDVD takes most of the guess work out of burning good DVD's. If you don't have a Mac then Adobe Premiere is spot on, I have used it in the past, very advanced but the output is impressive, it's also much easier to pick up than Final Cut.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Cris.

#296134 - 31/03/2007 17:12 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: Cris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
My Dad uses Pinnacle Studio to pretty good effect

Ugh. Granted, the last time I tried Pinnacle's products was a few years ago, but they seemed pretty terrible to me.

Quote:
If you don't have a Mac then Adobe Premiere is spot on, I have used it in the past, very advanced but the output is impressive, it's also much easier to pick up than Final Cut.

While I wouldn't call any Adobe product easy to pick up (although you're being relative), I've used Premiere before and thought it was okay. I'd recommend getting Premiere Elements, though. Unless you want to break the bank.

I've said it here before, but my favorite DVD authoring tool is DVDlab. Through them, I found a fairly inexpensive (compared to the insanely expensive like Premiere) program called Edit Studio. The good news is that there's a free trial of both programs.

I think the biggest challenge for you is going to be figuring out exactly how you're going to go about this, given that you're starting with DVDs. You're taking compressed video, and in most cases you're probably going to be compressing it again. I'd investigate to see if there's a way to do this without doing any recompression, but I've never gone that route myself, so maybe someone else here can offer some advice.

#296135 - 31/03/2007 18:25 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: Dignan]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
I think the biggest challenge for you is going to be figuring out exactly how you're going to go about this, given that you're starting with DVDs. You're taking compressed video, and in most cases you're probably going to be compressing it again. I'd investigate to see if there's a way to do this without doing any recompression, but I've never gone that route myself, so maybe someone else here can offer some advice.

Every edit system I've used in the last 6 or 7 years that supports DV projects does not recompress unless it has to. As long as the input and output profiles match. But like Matt says, you're already starting off with pretty crappy quality.

Andy M

#296136 - 01/04/2007 02:11 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: andym]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I don't know beans about video editing, but I know my brother has used Sony Vegas for projects in the past. Just throwing the name out there for consideration.

#296137 - 01/04/2007 03:01 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: andym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Every edit system I've used in the last 6 or 7 years that supports DV projects does not recompress unless it has to. As long as the input and output profiles match. But like Matt says, you're already starting off with pretty crappy quality.

I guess I'm just wondering what method he'd use to get the video off the DVDs. Can he just launch Premiere and import the VOB files?

#296138 - 01/04/2007 03:22 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: Ladmo]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I've got three words for you: Final Cut Pro.

#296139 - 01/04/2007 09:59 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: Ladmo]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
I have a bunch of family vids on DVD (I moved them from my camera to the DVD's with the sucky supplied DVD interface on the (dare I say it?) Sony camera).

I would like to edit them, cut out the crap, and maybe splice some together, and then burn them to a new DVD to share with family.

I've just done exactly what you are asking using Nero and VideoReDo, the result is rather better than I expected, taking it from a DVD: Normally I'm working from DV, or capture with Plextor for my older home movies.

N.B. Ripping from the unripable: AnyDVD does it for me, every time.

#296140 - 01/04/2007 11:51 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: JBjorgen]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
I don't know beans about video editing, but I know my brother has used Sony Vegas for projects in the past. Just throwing the name out there for consideration.

The Gadget Show reviewed some basic video editing packages recently and they liked Sony Vegas Movie Studio the best compared to iDVD or Adobe Premiere Elements. It surprised the reviewer as (like me) he had hated previous Sony software, but it was the easiest to use, most fun to play with and cheap.

I generally trust what they say, they seem to be clued up.

#296141 - 01/04/2007 12:39 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: sein]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:

But with the most irritating presenters on the box IMHO!

#296142 - 01/04/2007 16:48 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: Cybjorg]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Thats a tad overkill for a home movie editing and burning session, unless he was planning on adding some high end special effects and screening the movie in a theater :-)

#296143 - 01/04/2007 19:37 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: drakino]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Quote:

Thats a tad overkill for a home movie editing and burning session, unless he was planning on adding some high end special effects and screening the movie in a theater :-)

To be honest, Final Cut Express has pretty much all of those features anyway. In a nutshell the difference between Express and Pro is: Batch Capture, 3 way colour correction, Script Editor and support for resolutions/formats other than DV/HDV.

It's a shame you can't get Pro on its own now, it's bundled into Studio so you end up with Motion, Soundtrack, DVD Studio Pro and Compressor, which is great if you're setting yourself up as a production house, but if all you want is batch capture it's a significant jump up from £150.

Andy M

#296144 - 01/04/2007 21:16 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: sein]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

The Gadget Show reviewed some basic video editing packages recently and they liked Sony Vegas Movie Studio the best compared to iDVD or Adobe Premiere Elements. It surprised the reviewer as (like me) he had hated previous Sony software, but it was the easiest to use, most fun to play with and cheap.

Sony's software does suck. I'm pretty certain that they bought Vegas.

#296145 - 01/04/2007 21:17 Re: Video Editing Recommendations? [Re: Cybjorg]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Of course, we're making all these suggestions, and we don't know if we're dealing with a Mac or PC platform...