For work, I often need to see traffic in between a web browser and an HTTP server. I have various client programs that can spit out the headers and request/response information, but recently, with all of IE's quirkiness around cache control, I've found what I really need is a middleman that can show the request/response in between, rather than my own custom HTTP client. That way, I can not only see the traffic, but also see how the browser reacts.

So, essentially, I need a kind of reverse proxy server that can take an incoming HTTP request and forward the request on to another server, then send the response back. Both the request and response should otherwise be left intact. Similar to the "HTTP Tunnel" program that comes with the Apache SOAP toolkit, but I need it to support SSL. So, I would make an HTTP request to server1, and it would make an HTTPS request to server2, the response would come back, and be sent as plain HTTP to server1.

I'm about to piece 3 or 4 things I have already together to make this thing myself, but I was hoping it might already exist out there somewhere. Google hasn't led me to anything yet, so if anyone knows of something like this, let me know. It'd be perfect if it was an easy compile on Solaris and didn't require too much in the way of 3rd party libraries (I do have RSA SSL-C available, though.)