I don't have an easy way to tell what the box will do if it is lacking signal from Voom, since they combine the dish and antenna signal into one coax. Guess I could go cover the dish with a box or something :-)

And regarding new Voom news, thus far 19 channels have been added to the service after the technical upgrades, and most are viewable on the lower programming package. Thus far, I have enjoyed the return of BBC America to my TV.

And I have been making an hones attempt to watch more Voom specific content to give it a better review. Thus far:

World Sport HD : Well, any game they show on here will be in HD quality, unlike ESPN HD where it is HD some of the time. They cover the Junior League Hockey games (currently showing reruns of the big tournament in January), so I have my HD hockey fix even without the NHL. My friend really liked the soccer coverage they had when he came over, as it is his favorite sport to watch. Basicially they cover most non national US league games. For baseball, they show a lot of games out of Japan, and for basketball, they show Euro games.

Equator HD : Thus far this has been a decent channel to watch. The quality of it is near Discovery in terms of their documentaries. The benefit is that I can tune to it to get some goregous pictures of places around the world 24/7, instead of tuning to Discovery and possibly getting Trading Spaces in HD. If they would at least do Mythbusters in HD I could forgive them a little.

HDNews : It's still not as good as CNN for a quick summary of news, but is still nice to watch for what they do report on. Usually 10 minutes is good to catch the top sports, financial, world, and national news stories.

Lab: Still an interesting channel to leave on for background ambient filler. A friend described it as the channel to tune to if high at the time.

The themed movie channels: I give them high regard for not taking 2.35:1 films and cropping them to fill 1.85:1. Thus far though I haven't watched too many movies on them though, but I'm not a huge movie fan. The clips I have seen of older films show a very good HD upconvert.