They had promise, but aparently not enough to convince even high end HD owners to buy into it. It's a shame too many people out there were "going to wait and see". Good old chicken and the egg problem, and it killed Voom.

Calling Voom results in a prerecorded message about the cancellation before talking to a CSR. HDNews (Voom's HD copy of Headline News) also had a short news clip about it. So it looks like it is official this time. The prerecorded message confirms no termination fees, and no billing for the final last weeks. No announcements about what they will do with equipment. The people who bought the boxes are concerned they may be stuck with them, and they are already discussing a lawsuit against Cablevision if they don't buy the boxes back.

Oh, was kinda disappointed that I didn't hear the news on the 8th. As of the 9th, they locked down all accounts from changing service. So I couldn't upgrade to their movie packages for free for 3 weeks.

The biggest disappointment for me is that I now have to degrade my service by switching to some other provider. Both Dish Network and DirecTV look hideous on HDTVs to me now that I have had Voom. And I am going to miss a few of the Voom channels I found I tuned into frequently. There is hope though that the "Voom 21" HD channels will be carried by another provider, as the content is oddly missing from any shutdown orders.

I'm considering DirecTV though for their HD service, since I'd be a new subscriber and could take advantage of deals they have. One big speedbump in the way though. The $1000 pricetag on the HDPVR, an HDPVR that hasn't been confirmed to support MPEG4, the likely format DirecTV is going to switch to in the future.