Originally Posted By: Robotic
I've been telling my friends that I'm going to build on my ranch property for too many years now, apparently.
For Christmas, one gave me this book and another gave me this software.

This is exactly the same software I've bought. You're in for a fun time, trust me!

My mom tried the Punch! software a couple of years ago, but she wanted something that would tell her intimate details for stud walls. The learning curve was also quite daunting and, in the end, off-putting. Then again, she wasn't after a 'new home design' tool, but rather a way to easily design and build small improvements. In short- there's no substitute for expertise.
As Andy says- this is purely a visualization tool.

Agreed. Which is all I need it for. But it would be nice if they would lower the learning curve a bit. The software now comes with some example videos, but there are too few of them to be of any real use. The manual that came with the software seems daunting at first, but then things become even worse when you start reading it and realise this is only a 'quick start' guide. ;\)
As said, this is indeed some very powerful software. Shame 'powerful' usually equals 'hard to master'...

Meanwhile... I *do* need a visualization tool for my case. I'll be looking around with what I can do with these gifts.
We'll see how far I get with my Spanish/Pueblo Revival ideas.

Cool! Good luck with that!