"Most people who would play the song on their guitar first off would own the music on CD."

Most people who make mp3's own the cd. What's your point?

"Second when you want to hear a song you cant just play it on the guitar and get the same effect."

Did you actually the read the post you are replying to? Both examples (guitar, mp3) are reproductions of copyrighted material; just one more accurate than the other. If you're going to outlaw/tax/denounce/whatever one than why not other? I only made the analogy to show how ridiculous banning guitar playing of copyrighted music would be.

"This brings us to the issue of cover bands. While playing music on your guitar in your home is one thing going out and playing for a crowd and charging them money is another and I really am not familiar with the laws governing this."

Bands do this every weekend all over the country, yet nobody minds. Yet when you share an mp3 with someone, of which nobody makes any profit, it suddenly becomes a filthy sin. It's true, mp3 sharing probably hurts people in the music business. But perhaps cd's aren't worth as much as they used to be.

By the way, I'm in the process of writing the book of The. The only word in it is 'the'. It will soon be copyrighted, and anyone who wishes to use my intellectual property will have to compensate me for it.