In reply to:

Ok, so I have decided to (because of various reasons) replace my desktop (at work and home) with a laptop. I have been looking around, and the one I found most impressive is the "Toshiba Satellite 5105-S607".

I've just spent a lot of time looking at and evaluating laptops. The Toshiba is a good machine provided that you are always going to be near an AC outlet. The battery life is terrible and it has no option for a secondary battery. For that reason and because of cost I would choose the Dell 8200 or Compaq 2800 over the Tosh. But there are valid reasons to choose any of these and it comes down to what is important to you.

Have you seen the Tosh in person? I find 1600x1200 (UXGA) uncomfortably small on a 15" LCD. For my eyes, 1400x1050 (SXGA+) is the sweet spot for 15" laptop LCDs. LCD screens only look good at their native resolution so be sure you make the right choice up front.

I'd suggest buying directly from the manufacturer. Most of them will give you a 14-30 day return period without a restocking fee. All of the retail vendors charge a restocking fee (usually 15%).

I recently made the switch from desktop to laptop and I love it. My desktop machine is hardly used anymore. Why would I want to sit in my cramped little office when I now have wireless internet and 6 hours of battery life on my patio, couch in front of the TV, bedroom, etc.? It's great!

-Dylan