(been just dying to use the "crazy" icon)

I'm starting to wonder of my empeg security is getting a little overboad. After all the thiefts from cars, I never leave it alone in my car anymore. That always means bring the Pelican 1400 case into restaurants, friends' houses, etc. So far, only one comment about it, but enough odd looks.

But I not only secure it from my unattended car, I secure it from unattended ANYTHING. The example in question is the gym. I work at a university with gym facilities which I use a few nights a week after work. But I won't bring my empeg in and lock it in a locker with my clothes (and what rare computing marvel should be locked up with smelly socks and shoes anyway?). No, instead, I leave it in my office; in a locked cabinet, in a locked office, in a locked suite, in a locked building with a guard at the front door.

Problem is, it takes me an extra 30 minutes to go from the gym, back to work, and get back on the road JUST to get my empeg. That's 30 minutes more sleep, or 30 minutes earlier to eat dinner, or 30 minutes more time to climb the rock wall at the gym.

I've justified it for months and months now. "Secure the empeg, it's worth it. No shortcuts!" But... 30 minutes gone 3 days a week? I don't... mind, but does anyone have other thoughts for security in the car, in the gym, or wherever I have to bring it but leave it unattended? Short of using padlocks in the Pelican's two padlock slots and chaining it to a workout bench...