After graduating from college, and despite having gone to a liberal arts school, I still have some things I desperately need to learn. The most important of these, I feel, is personal finance.

How can they not teach this at universities? It boggles my mind that a course in personal finances is not as ubiquitous as, say, a high school home-ec or shop class. No, instead, our higher education seems entirely focused on giving us knowledge in our one field of education, and then a bunch of required courses that will never be used again (at least this is the way it works at my liberal arts school).

So there we are. 1500 people graduating from my college every year, and the vast majority of them don't know how to do their taxes. Credit cards, apartment/condo/house payments, personal banking, bill paying, etc, most of it is a mystery to these young adults who just graduated from one of the best schools in the country. This is, to me, the biggest failure of my country's educational system.

So, that said, where do I turn to in order to learn all this stuff? Basically, I have a debit card, and the only bills I pay are for my cell phone, which is done automatically. This summer I will finally be buying a new place to live, and my father will help me with that, but hey, he won't be around forever. I need to learn how this stuff works.

Big thanks for any pointers you guys have.