Quote:
Another time, I received a check (from a college graduate) made out for "one hundred and thirty-seven dollars and 12/100". My bank wouldn't take it until she wrote me another one for "one hundred thirty-seven dollars and 12/100". She was stunned, and absolutely couldn't believe it when I told her that although the bank was being unusually pedantic, "everyone knows that on American checks the word 'and' should only appear between the dollars and the cents." She had never heard such a thing and thought I was just making stuff up. I almost had to bring her in to the bank to prove it to her. I'm sure she wrote checks like that all the time and this was the first time it had bitten her.

Just so I can have another rant. She had every right to be stunned. As far as I am concerned the extra "and" is correct English and is the correct form. If the US really speaks "English", then what was on the first cheque (that's cheque not check) was perfectly valid. If however the US would like to be different once again and call their language "American" then that's fine. Change the rules for all I care.

</end rant>
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)